Muntons disappointment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been wanting to try Muntons Old Conkerwood for ages, imagine my disappointment on opening the box to find a single measly 7g packet of yeast.

Not going to risk a stuck brew so will replace it with a 12g packet. Why do Muntons do this with their kits? They even manage to put two of these in the Cwtch kit, so why not all their kits?

I'm old school, I don't do Twitter.

Besides, this issue has been running for years (look at all the threads for stuck brews with Wherry etc.) and loads of people have mailed them, but they take no notice. It's been a few years since I bought a premium Muntons kit and I though they may have responded to feedback, but it seems not.

Been wanting to try Muntons Old Conkerwood for ages, imagine my disappointment on opening the box to find a single measly 7g packet of yeast.

Not going to risk a stuck brew so will replace it with a 12g packet. Why do Muntons do this with their kits? They even manage to put two of these in the Cwtch kit, so why not all their kits?

overstressing yeast ie. underpitching , fermenting too high etc can lead to different flavours, but I think in this case they are being tight, it's almost like they'd rather you go and buy your own yeast but as they are selling it as a kit have to put some in :doh:

Hi darrellm. I've just started this kit myself and was wondering how it turned out. Did you use the yeast with the kit or something else?

First time I've had issues, (see my post, THoughts Please), guess what, A Mutons kit. Don't think I'll be buying another one of those if I do. Ill buy 12g yeast or failing that make a bloody starter.

Both of my muntons kits stuck using their yeast.
Repitched some extra beasties and it went off like a train again.
Last muntons kit I used an S-04 and it stormed through primary fermentation in 6 days. Left it for a full 3 weeks though, as I timed it all badly as I went away. Turned out a great brew though.
Left my last brew 3 weeks in the primary and that was a cracker too. Going to do the same with the admirals reserve and brupak bitter I have going too. Starting to think giving it a full 3 weeks allows everything to fully brew out and let the yeast fully tidy up after itself before bottling.

It's frustrating but I just take it as a given now that with any Muntons kit I'll be using a different yeast. Luckily the CML ale yeast is so good and cheap. Note this includes Woodfordes, St. Peters, Milestone, Courage, Brewmaker, Hawkshead, and any other kit made under license by them. The kits themselves are generally pretty good though.

Is the yeast a good quality one though? Say, if you had two Munton's kits would it be worth using both yeast sachets in one kit and then using a decent replacement for the other?

Is the yeast a good quality one though? Say, if you had two Munton's kits would it be worth using both yeast sachets in one kit and then using a decent replacement for the other?

the yeast its self is sound, just not enough of it so yes your idea would be fine, you could then harvest the yeast from the first brew and reuse in the second.:thumb:

The yeast is actually rather good - I did a Muntons Old Conkerwood recently and re-hydrated the yeast, it was climbing out of the cup within 30mins.

As has been said, there's just not enough of it. With the 2-can kits I often do one at a time, and use the packet of yeast with the first one. Never had any problems. But doing the full 2 cans, I'll buy a separate yeast. Except Cwtch, which does come with 2 small yeast packets, as I said in the original post.

Been recently having the same problem with brewmaker kits and John bull,both being on the higher weight malt in the cans but only supplying a measly 7 gram yeast sachet resulting in high FGs and low attenuation, so today I have for the first time ever gone to wilko and got an 11 gram satchet of gervin English ale yeast which I believe is Nottingham, hope to see a vast improvement on my next brew

It's frustrating but I just take it as a given now that with any Muntons kit I'll be using a different yeast. Luckily the CML ale yeast is so good and cheap. Note this includes Woodfordes, St. Peters, Milestone, Courage, Brewmaker, Hawkshead, and any other kit made under license by them. The kits themselves are generally pretty good though.

I take some of it back!

Put on a Milestone Dark Galleon last night expecting to use a sachet of CML ale yeast but I was pleasantly surprised to find an 11g sachet of Gervin ale yeast when I unboxed it. :thumb:

20171012_210357-532.jpg

Back