Money what it is and where it comes from

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The coinage all used to weigh what it was worth. In medieval times clipping coins was a crime punishable by castration or death. The coins had crosses,short then later long to reach the end of the flan to stop them being clipped. The milled edge on a coin was a further invention to stop this..by Isaac Newton...I think!
Today's coins are debased..ie not worth their weight. Henry 8th started this to pay for wars and lavish overspend on palaces and lifestyle. He was known as old copper nose as his silver coins were debased with copper and the high point on the coin portrait being his nose wore away first revealing the coins copper content.
Further debasement occurred during the 1940's to pay for ww2.

Does homebrew count as a God?

"Bread and beer come with and from the grace of god."

So yes.

Except that I think that evolution explains things better than creation by mythological sky-fairies.

In the model of the universe I would have credence in, yeasts pre-date us in the evolutionary calendar and we evolved into the eco-systems created by our predecessors..

"Bread and beer come with and from the grace of god."

So yes.

Except that I think that evolution explains things better than creation by mythological sky-fairies.

In the model of the universe I would have credence in, yeasts pre-date us in the evolutionary calendar and we evolved into the eco-systems created by our predecessors..

Fungus spores can survive the cold and vacuum of space (aparently unknow fungus type have been growing on the mir space station). So I'm sure yeast could well be fungal Gods from another outerspace dimension. To be on the safe side I think I will continue to worship my homebrew (I sometimes think I'm overly pious and worship far too frequently):mrgreen:

Ok, so, ;eaving the yeast worshippers out of it. Money is a personification of governmental lies. So wtf is a Bitcoin, and how is that a multi-national currency?
A crypto-currency. The ultimate middle finger to government due to it been encrypted and very hard to track. It only has value as people decided it did. It's a perfect illustration of currency been a concept, and not actually tangible. Purple started trading traditional currency for it, and so it gained value. I still remember when it first started and was fairly worthless. It's truly international as no nation or even group controls it, it's bits and bytes of cryptographic data. If you have Netflix there's a good documentary about it on there. There's a good reason it's popular with criminals... Lol

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

Just had a look and wikipedia's entry on cryptocurrency isn't too bad https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptocurrency.

The point I was trying to make is that because of the ethereal nature of currency, anybody can create one, it's then down to "the people" to decide if it has any value or not. It's kind of ironic though when a currency is created the value of which is based on the value of another currency. My mind works in peculiar ways though.:lol:

I should also point out, I don't believe that currency is inherently bad, in an ideal world it creates a more convenient trade base than barter. The bad part is how it has become totally misused and over-valued on a practically religious basis, with large groups of people practically worshipping it and putting it above everything else. People are the problem, not currency.

Just had a look and wikipedia's entry on cryptocurrency isn't too bad https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptocurrency.

The point I was trying to make is that because of the ethereal nature of currency, anybody can create one, it's then down to "the people" to decide if it has any value or not. It's kind of ironic though when a currency is created the value of which is based on the value of another currency. My mind works in peculiar ways though.:lol:

I should also point out, I don't believe that currency is inherently bad, in an ideal world it creates a more convenient trade base than barter. The bad part is how it has become totally misused and over-valued on a practically religious basis, with large groups of people practically worshipping it and putting it above everything else. People are the problem, not currency.

I agree. Plus, I would say that many fail to realise that it is the underlying resources, that money facilitates the exchange of, that are of value. This is important in the sense that many of these resources are finite and in some danger of being exhausted.

Latest posts

Back