England to consider optout organ donation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soft opt-out or Presumed consent

• Soft opt-out

• Presumed consent

• Neither.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Lots of "feels". Very few logical reasoned arguments when it comes to attaching monetary value to post mortem organ donation.
How about live donations? You can provide someone with blood, or a kidney, or bone marrow and there is without doubt a monetary value that can be assigned to those bits of you that ranges from a few hundreds of pounds to a few hundreds of thousands of pounds but in Britain at least, a guy on minimum wage who has registered as a potential bone marrow donor could be called upon to donate to a billionaire and yet he would receive no remuneration for this. Is that right?

FWIW. I am no longer a blood donor. After about 20 donations, I stopped when I found out just how much money the NHS was pocketing from what I had given freely by selling blood products on the international market.

I've stopped donating blood because the last time I tried to do it I saw in a reception for an hour and half and then got sent away as the clinic was ending. You can't get appointments to do it round here (though we get constant letters asking us to come to clinics). I'd be more than happy to donate blood but with work and two kids it has to be on sensible terms. Does that make me sound selfish, I hope not, I hope it just sounds pragmatic. I'm a fully sided up organ donor and I'm on balance in favour of the opt out but I acknowledge that it isn't a black and white issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was that a one off problem?

I think the problem is that the fixed number of appointments are always booked up. But they do say you can go and wait and if either someone with an appointment doesn't show up or if they get ahead, they will try to squeeze you in. So I did that and wasn't seen. I have since kept trying to book appointments but never managed to get one and since the kids the number of clinics I can practically attend is more limited and sitting waiting on the off chance is just too difficult. I tired to recruit enough people at the office that the blood service would do a mobile clinic but there's not enough of us.

We have a serious shortage of organ donors, and most people who arent donors just cant be arsed to do the paperwork. Most people don't care, and anyone who does can opt out. I think presumed consent is absolutely the right way to go, I've been saying so for years. As far as I'm concerned this is the government finally seeing sense.

I've stopped donating blood because the last time I tried to do it I saw in a reception for an hour and half and then got sent away as the clinic was ending. You can't get appointments to do it round here (though we get constant letters asking us to come to clinics). I'd be more than happy to donate blood but with work and two kids it has to be on sensible terms. Does that make me sound selfish, I hope not, I hope it just sounds pragmatic. I'm a fully sided up organ donor and I'm on balance in favour of the opt out but I acknowledge that it isn't a black and white issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was plasma and blood donor, and this ****** me off too. But I have A-, probably not rare enough to make appointments for.

I was plasma and blood donor, and this ****** me off too. But I have A-, probably not rare enough to make appointments for.

I wondered that too, and I can certainly see the rationale of never turning away an O- donor for example.

I used to work for a big company and they used to come to the factory, you got an hour off work so it was very popular.

I used to work for a big company and they used to come to the factory, you got an hour off work so it was very popular.

We're expected to give blood at our works, metaphorically speaking - no time off. Stuff that, I just go and hide in the hedge bottom round the back for an hour.

O- blood donor and also a living kidney donor here.

Would you pull someone out of a potentially burning car?
Would you donate to a relative/family friend?

Then I don't understand why you wouldn't want to help save someones life by being an organ donor if something happened to you.

Unfortunately there is an appeal to not just (presently) sign up but ALSO tell your family, as at present your next of kin are asked of your preference and some organs are not "harvested" as families don't know that their loved one was a donor (or don't agree with it).

So at present if you Opt IN then also tell those close to you.

They can do whatever they like with my bits and bobs when I've done with them, but why anyone would want any of em after the abuse they've received is beyond me. Blackened lungs, clogged heart, pickled liver, shot pancreas, gungey blood etc. Aaargghh take em away!

I could not disagree more your body belongs to you not the government if you have strong feelings about being buried/cremated with all your bits that is your decision not the governments.

I totally agree even though your bits will be in a plastic bag with you :)

Back