Coopers Irish stout flavour balancing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cptn_Needa

Chookity-pok
Reaction score
Hi all

While my American IPA is conditioning I thought I'd try a Cooper's Irish stout.
I took the kit malt and added 1kg of medium spray malt and 500g of black treacle (saw a few others had done similar).
It had an OG of 1055 so I'm hoping for around the 5% mark when she's done (currently at 1012).

I tried a little sample when I took the latest gravity reading and I would describe the taste of treacle as unsubtle.

I hope this would mellow in time with conditioning but was wondering about maybe dry-hopping with some pellets for a couple of days before conditioning starts.

I picked up 100g of Simcoe pellets from my local shop but wondered if anyone had any advice on whether or not this is a good idea?

I like the Coopers Irish stout kit and prefer it to the Original stout, just.
However adding 500g of black treacle to either kit is a brave move in my view, unless you like black treacle, since it will dominate as you have found out. I use a max of 125g of Dark Muscavado sugar when I'm boosting my stout kits and you can only just taste it, but it doesn't mellow with time, so I doubt whether your black treacle will either.
So you are probably stuck with it, but adding a strong tasting hop like Simcoe in a large quantity might work. You could, if you have a second FV, split your brew and dry hop one half only, or even use two different hops in both halves, to compare.

Thanks for the reply.
I had a feeling I might have overdone it by quite some distance! I was a bit eager to get going I think and didn't really research it properly.

How much would you consider to be a large quantity of the pellets?

done the stout twice with the full tin of black treacle which I had to forcibly drink:whistle: which begs the question,why did I repeat it after trying the recipe the first time?buggered if I know:doh:

I'm drinking a Coopers Stout at the moment that I added 1kg BE and 60g of dark brown sugar to and it's come out at 5.8%. I'm not fan of hops in stouts and prefer very small additions of coffee and chocolate as background flavours. This one's a real pleasure to drink and I'm very tempted to clone it with another Coopers kit of got waiting to do. This was brewed over the summer so I used Mauribrew 514.

I'm drinking a Coopers Stout at the moment that I added 1kg BE and 60g of dark brown sugar to and it's come out at 5.8%. I'm not fan of hops in stouts and prefer very small additions of coffee and chocolate as background flavours. This one's a real pleasure to drink and I'm very tempted to clone it with another Coopers kit of got waiting to do. This was brewed over the summer so I used Mauribrew 514.
got a coopers stout in my other FV as we speak,its been in now for31 days and had 50 gram of cracked coffee beans in it since day 5 and the bugger wont stop bubbling away,think it must be the coffee beans driving it.anyway I think one way or another im gonna package it this weekend 31 days is just mad for a 1050, OG brew imo:thumb:

Coffee and chocolate sounds like a nice addition.

Any suggestions on anything I could do about this stage to remedy my brew?

My view is that anything you do will be fighting the black treacle.
I would also never add extra hops to a stout, but in this case it might work as I said above, and you could split the brew to compare.
My standard for these kits is brew to 19 litres with 500g golden syrup, 500g Dark DME, 100g dark muscavado sugar plus four shots of strong Italian Roast coffee from our machine, although the last one I did was 125g of the muscavodo and it was more pronounced or so it seemed, so the next one I do will be back to 100g.

You could add a strong flavoured hop as terry suggested but as a hop tea plus dry hop, if you dont mind American Style stouts with lots of hop flavour. I once made a beer with (I think) columbus and hated the flavour so I added a hop tea and a dry hop of simco (I think) and it completely changed the flavour of the beer

Fab thanks a lot.

terrym unfortunately I only have one vessel so a split batch can't be achieved right now. Think I'll just on in with the hops and I'll try your recipe next time.

MyQul with your split tea/dry method would you suggest I used 50g for the tea and dry hop the other 50g?

Sorry for all the questions; this is only my 4th brew since returning after 12 years or more.

Back