New Hydro

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

Landlord.
Reaction score
So just got a new hydrometer as lent my own one out along with a siphon and bits and bobs to someone who is giving making wine a go, so decided to get another just in case, it is never seen again.

issue is the new one isn't sitting at 1.000 when in water but 1.004.

Is it just a case of working with this and taking the .004 off ever reading?

Is there a way to Calibrate them?

I guess you need to first check the water is at 20°C (or whatever the calibrated temp is of your particular hydrometer)

I'd just adjust each future reading by .004.

About a year ago I bought a refractometer instead of replacing my broken hydrometer with another one. They can be calibrated easily, automatically adjust for temperature, and also saves you opening the FV, or removing half a pint of wort, to take a gravity reading.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

I'd just adjust each future reading by .004.

About a year ago I bought a refractometer instead of replacing my broken hydrometer with another one. They can be calibrated easily, automatically adjust for temperature, and also saves you opening the FV, or removing half a pint of wort, to take a gravity reading.

Just as a matter of interest, did you buy an expensive one or just the ones from ebay that are around £13.99 or so?

Honestly can't remember. I wouldn't have bought an expensive one though.

The scale on a hydrometer is linear (not sure if that's the right word) so you could just ignore the. 004 discrepancy. What I mean is a wort going from1.050 to 1.010 would be the same abv as 1.060 to 1.020.

Or I suppose you could calibrate with a blob of bluetak on top if you like a quick bodge.

give the hydrometer a violent shake and test again if the reading has changed then the grade tube of paper in the hydrometer is loose and the hydrometer is useless, this happened to me after a boiling water sanitation treatment of a hydrometer, the heat effected the glue that holds the grade tube in place and for the next few brews my gravity readings were all over the place..

If its static and the error is the same, (the mrs isnt dropping a spoon of sugar or salt in the water with your back turned is she ?? hehe )
then as said above its a linear scale and the error IF known, can easily be accounted for, the relative readings for abv calculation are ok as is..

Hang on if new, and reading off you can always return it for a replacement, (take a thermometer water bottle and trial jar with you perhaps..)

Hang on if new, and reading off you can always return it for a replacement, (take a thermometer water bottle and trial jar with you perhaps..)

Was and online purchase, but can still take pics etc. hand not even thought about returning it:doh:

Just a thought but some need to be read from below the miniscus and some are meant to be read from above the miniscus.

Are you reading it correctly ?

Just a thought but some need to be read from below the miniscus and some are meant to be read from above the miniscus.

Are you reading it correctly ?

Had thought about that and double checked the instruction then read terrym's great thread again.

Positive I am doing it right

Had thought about that and double checked the instruction then read terrym's great thread again.

Positive I am doing it right

It was just a thought, I guess you either live with it and adjust for the .004 discrepancy or return to supplier.

Wilko's do one for £3.50, you could give that a go and hope for an accurate one !

I bought 2 from Wilkos and they are both out. Lost receipt and packaging so can't be returned. Also they as hard to read as have more than one scale. I bought a larger better quality one from eBay for a quid more. I like my refractometer but I ought one only in brix which is annoying. Great to use though.

Back