Hop Growing in the garden

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8c13abbb6b2d20d697a507d2e8e8acbb.jpg

So these are pretty much ready to harvest now. Anyone got any good ways of drying out without a dehydrator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a conservatory that gets very hot and dry so they are going to go on the window sill. Failing that I'll run the dehumidifier too!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

your conservatory must smell amazing right about now. Did you weight them at all?

your conservatory must smell amazing right about now. Did you weight them at all?

I have to admit it smells spectacular! :thumb:

I didn't weigh them but will do once they are fully dry. I had no idea how many hops were on that single plant, I initially went out with a cake tin realising after five minutes I'd need a bigger pot!:mrgreen:

My drying method seems to be working very well too (dehumidifier running full whack and a fan over the trays). The dehumidifier has been emptied twice and they are already feeling crispy, just need to keep rotating them.

I'm glad someone has harvested, really thinking mine are ready to come in but never done it before so don't want to harvest too early. But they have that paper-thin quality that people describe so reckon they're ready?

I'm glad someone has harvested, really thinking mine are ready to come in but never done it before so don't want to harvest too early. But they have that paper-thin quality that people describe so reckon they're ready?

I've done my first harvest of my saaz and need to harvest my fuggles in the next few days. If they're papery that's one indication that they're ready, but there should be lupulin between the leaves of the flowers so when you touch the cones, your fingers pick up the smell of hops.

Like most plants, if they are difficult to pick when pulling them off the plant they probably need a bit more time. If you decide to leave them a little longer and the cones start turning a bit brown, it won't affect the quality of the hop as the lupulin will still be fresh.

So after a couple of days I'm satisfied all my hops are dried out and there is not a drop of moisture left. In total I am just shy of 500g. No idea if this yield is any good for WGV?

All that is left now is to vacuum pack in 100g portions.

e1a92a583ab150c445a7348f5ce47e78.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back