A Comedy of Errors [Evil Cat]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shampoo

Reaction score
So, I spent an instructive Saturday making a lot of mistakes with my first ever kit, Bulldogs "Bad Cat".

1. Started bringing the malt mix to boil before re-reading the instructions to see they didn't require it to go above 25 degrees.
  2. Found out that as a result I didn't need to try and boil the mix in a pot first and could have mixed it up in the FV.
  3. Accidentally used hot water from the tap instead of boiling cold water without thinking when it said to rinse out the malt mix bag.
  4. Neglected to crush the yeast bag up before opening and sprinkling; this resulted in a few lumps falling in.

Aside from those biggies, there was the general chaos of a newbie at work. 3 days on, I've persevered (though Im fairly sure this is going to be undrinkable). I'm also concerned that its been a bit too cold during the night recently, and there doesnt look to be a lot going on in there (despite the airlock burbling away happily).

Still, on the plus side I've got a ton of notes on what to do next time. What do you reckon, think this may still be drinkable? Shall we take bets?

JboxUDU.jpg

Honest answer is your more likely to get away with it than not. not sure if the kit comes with hops for a dry hop but you might want to get some and add if it doesn't as boiling the malt will have boiled out the flavour/aroma hop oils

Nothing to lose, you have already pitched so run with it mate.

:thumb:

As sdt says you've probabably boiled out theflavour/aroma hops. But some from ebay (you can get 20-50g tea bags of all sorts of viarietieshttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-25g-Home-Brew-Hop-Pellet-Tea-Bags-59-TYPES-eg-Citra-Fuggles-Saaz-Cascade-etc-/262581953982?var=&hash=item3d231aa5be:m:mbsF2Ga5RgNzvUehtdhaIzA ) and make a hop tea which you can add at bottling time.

Look in this thread to see how to do it

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=65002

Aye, came with two hop bags to add in towards the end (for aroma mainly), and I didn't go full-boil, only got as high as 60 when I caught myself out. Cheers for the advice!

From memory the kit has Amarillo and willamette hops. I also did this as my first brew and had trouble with temp control. It's not too bitter as standard so dry hoping with above shouldn't make it undrinkable. Although I added hops on day 5 and it didn't ferment to gravity for 2 weeks I may have lost some aroma.
Good luck I reckon it'll be ok

Hopefully it will be OK and it should go off like a volcano make sure you keep an eye on it the lid blew off my fv but the end result is good took 3 weeks to ferment out dry hopped with supplied hops for 7 days nice brew

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hopefully it will be OK and it should go off like a volcano make sure you keep an eye on it the lid blew off my fv but the end result is good took 3 weeks to ferment out dry hopped with supplied hops for 7 days nice brew

How long into fermentation did it take for it to get all explosive? On day 4/5 now, the airlock is still bubbling away but looking at the side there's barely a centimeter of foam up top.

Mine went off before that what temperature is it at ?

Mine went off before that what temperature is it at ?

Probably far too low, will know this evening when I stick on the lcd thermometer that I got today! Despite the heat wave, the kitchen has been remaining stubbornly cool. Got a heat belt today too however so should maybe see a bit more life!

So the LCD thermometer isnt actually reading anything, which is probably not a good start. It vaguely shows an orange box over 26 (but very faint, could even be just the way the light is catching it) but it certainly doesn't feel remotely that warm.

I caved and popped the lid and, well, looks proper ****ed. Looks like it had started developing then died down. I also noticed that somehow I managed to top up to 25l as opposed to 23l.

Thoughts? This one for the toilet? I will say it smells nice anyway, and the airlock is still burbling away happily.

huSCedFg.jpg

There is no need to worry so much! The brew has two chances.

A) It will be okay. :thumb: :thumb:

B) It won't. :doh: :doh:

The LESS you mess with it the more likely it is to be okay so LEAVE IT ALONE until either:

A) It calls for you to add hops, or,

B) It is September 2016!

Don't be tempted to do ANYTHING when the air-lock stops going "glub club"; not even a peek!

Take your time. Time is your friend not your enemy! :thumb: :thumb:

Ok, ok.... just spooked by the reports that it should be exploding by now into a frothy mess of awesomeness. I'll leave it for now. :)

Boiling it may have stopped/limited the "frothy mess of awesomeness".
The frothy ring (krausen) indicates it was fermenting and the krausen dropping is one indication it has used most of the available sugars.

Leave it to tidy up for AT LEAST another week before hopping and you should have a nice clear brew.

Remember a hydrometer is the best way to confirm what is happening/when fermentation is finished.

There is no need to worry so much! The brew has two chances.

A) It will be okay. :thumb: :thumb:

B) It won't. :doh: :doh:

The LESS you mess with it the more likely it is to be okay so LEAVE IT ALONE until either:

A) It calls for you to add hops, or,

B) It is September 2016!

Don't be tempted to do ANYTHING when the air-lock stops going "glub club"; not even a peek!

Take your time. Time is your friend not your enemy! :thumb: :thumb:

wise words there dutto :)

Hes right btw, avoid opening it up again until you need to hop or until 2 weeks is over as you risk infecting :( if you really think its dead tho just add a bit of sugar to it to check its still alive as the bubbles will give it away :)

Ok, so, added the hops today and took a reading.... 1.003... so its got a negative alcohol rating. Pretty sure this is well and truly buggered, but any thoughts? Should I push ahead with bottling in a few days with a bit of sugar in each bottle and see what it tastes like in a week?

Ok, so, added the hops today and took a reading.... 1.003... so its got a negative alcohol rating. Pretty sure this is well and truly buggered, but any thoughts? Should I push ahead with bottling in a few days with a bit of sugar in each bottle and see what it tastes like in a week?

1.003 sounds good to me, I'd bottle it with half teaspoon sugar/DME per pint and leave it to carbonate for 2 weeks. Then store it away for at least a month 2 or 3 months won't make it any worse, and, who knows,,, you may be pleasantly surprised...!:smile:

Chill out dude! Low gravity means it's finished, not that it's knackered. That kit is dry when it's done. Dry means less sugars left which means low gravity reading.

Stop being a worry wart, give it 4 days, prime the bottles fill em up and then wait 4 weeks, drink it, get ******, job done.

It's really really hard to screw up home brew bud.

Boiling the kit will remove a little hoppiness which for my money is a good thing with that kit (not much of a hop head) so chill your boots, stop peeking, bottle it and then when it's time, drink it.

Latest posts

Back