Spiced honey beer.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkMayf

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I plan on making the spiced honey beer recipe from GH book at the weekend.

Now normally when I make a beer, after it is cooled I sieve it through a 20# filter into the FV, to remove the hops mainly. If I do this with the spiced beer, will I be removing the coriander seeds and orange peel too early? (They do have 10 minutes boil, then the time to cool).

Conversely if I tip it all into the FV, will the flavours come through too strong?

I just dunno what to do, and can't seem to find a definitive right or wrong!

Have you considered filtering out the hops and spices after the boil and then adding new spices for the fermentation stage?

A taste of the wort will give you an idea of the amount of spices already present and whether or not you actually need any more.

If you do then you could boil up a small bag of coriander seeds (and maybe more orange peel) and then add the bag and the water to the FV with the wort.

Alternatively, you could leach out orange and coriander flavour in a small amount of vodka whilst the wort is fermenting and then add the vodka to the brew before bottling.

Back