replace airlock after BO?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
anyone out there who replaces airlocks after mild blow offs?
got the wort inside and the yeast has settled to the bottom and the liquid has gone down a bit but its still bubbling away.
can I wait another week when I dry hop this one?

anyone out there who replaces airlocks after mild blow offs?
got the wort inside and the yeast has settled to the bottom and the liquid has gone down a bit but its still bubbling away.
can I wait another week when I dry hop this one?
Just swap the airlock, you have a blanket of co2 over your beer so no harm will come to, just spray a bit of starsan where the airlock fits just to be on the safe side
If you don't do it soon the airlock with the beer in it will be a bugger to get clean

Think I changed the airlock about 5 times in one evening with the Wilko wheat beer! Just drinking one now and it's turned out pretty good.

cheers lads

the new airlock has given me a more accurate guesstimate of what's goin on.
that's a lot of airlock replacements. just out of interest which ones do you all use?
I went for a bubble type for my stout and a three piece (cylinder type but with a middle cap to stop outside air and help cover the wort if refilled)
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-3-piece-Cylinder-Fermentor-Airlock-w-Grommet-Air-Lock-Home-Brew-Wine-Beer-/172256104208?nav=SEARCH

its more of an American thing. I had a gradual suckback from one last week which has put me off them slightly.

I use a blow off tube on my FV as my airlock would run dry after a couple of days with a very vigarous fermenting wine i make regularly.

Is it worth investing in a 30L FV?, surely this would cut out all this pullava?

I usually just spray a bit of anti-perspirant!

Lol, or you could use some starsan in a spray bottle. :)

If i have an airlock overflow i just leave it until its stopped before replacing it. No need to do it 5 times in a day. It wont get infected.

If you have trouble cleaning them try soaking in sodium percarbonate.

Back