"Guinness" - an old recipe - your thoughts please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trunky

Reaction score
Last made this one, "Dave Line" style, mashing with a bag suspended within a 5 Gallon brew bin - no insulation - water at 70c aiming for a mash temperature of 66c for 2 hours.

Grain;

10Lb mild ale malt
1/2 Lb black malt
1 Lb roast barley
2 Lb flaked barley

With a total lack of finesse I would have sparged with boiling water from a kettle to collect 5 Gallons of 'stuff'.

Hops;

3 Oz Northdown
1 Oz Challenger

Nice old boil in an old brew bin with a kettle element and cobbled together simmer-stat for 2 and a half hours then flash cool (yeah, I know pretty suave for the mid-eighties!) and top up to 5 Gallons.

OG was usually 1.045.

I know I can probably improve the mash, but how does the OG I was getting compare with a 'more up to date' approach?

My memory of this brew was that it was bloody good, only differing from the real thing by way of a slightly darker head on the pint.

What sort of prices am I likely to pay for the grain and hops to make this, in general, these days? I don't (yet) have any itention of buying in bulk.

Any pointers for the recipe in order to scale down to 4 Gallons final quantity?

Hi trunky, take a look at Brewstews Guinness Clone CLICKY I haven't brewed it myself but I understand it's a good one.

As for the cost of the ingredients, the best thing to do is look at what one of the online HBS's price them up as :cool:

i can't take credit for that recipe though, it's basically from Dave Line's "brewing beers like those you buy" (great book!) but i rounded up the weights.

if you want to try something that's a little less dry and got more ... for want of a better word... "oomph!" try my TaRd recipe which has evolved from the Guinness clone Wez posted ;) several people now have it as their house regular... myself included :D

Clicky

Wez said:
Hi trunky, take a look at Brewstews Guinness Clone CLICKY I haven't brewed it myself but I understand it's a good one.

As for the cost of the ingredients, the best thing to do is look at what one of the online HBS's price them up as :cool:

I can vouch for this recipie I would say its better Guinness :thumb:

Latest posts

Back