Burton Bridge Summer Ale Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovelldr

Regular.
Reaction score
Started this brew on 19th April 2012. Set FV off sterilising and cleaning while I made a hop tea of around 30g of Goldings hops to boiling water that had cooled slightly to 85'c. Left to steep at 85'c for around 25 mins until ~60'c.

Left tin in hot water to soften and boiled in 500g of DME to melt in. Added that, the hop tea and wort to FV. Then added 500g of brewing sugar, and topped up to 23l. OG came out around 1.042. Pitched the supplied yeast, and left fermenting overnight. Came to it the following morning to no activity. Then, came back home from work and saw the foam had come up to the top of the FV :thumb:

Been left in the FV at roughly 18'c ever since. Coming on nicely by the looks of it...

Will update this thread later when I transfer to secondary. Nice to hear other reviews of this that others have done before I get to bottle and sample :)

I have just made this brew as my first effort!
Made it up and with malt extract instead of sugar and got a OG of 1.038, to the suggested dosage of 800g and then left it to do its thing!
It formed a lovely frothy head in the FV the following morning and then fermented well for a week, I tested and got 2 consecutive SG readings of 1.008 over 2 days.
I decided the time had to to bottle so bottled last night with my new coopers PET bottles and went very well, only overflowed one bottle so not bad!!
I had a little sneaky taste and appart from a very "raw" flavour and a bit yeasty it tasted ok!
So just letting it do its thing in the bottles now and hopefully will condition nicely and clear?! Fingers crossed!

Will let you know how it tatses!

Well what can I say!
Went to move the bottled brew from the house to the garage after three days of 22'c of secondary fermentation and curiosity got the better of me!
I slightly chilled one bottle and slowly poured my new brew into a glass and wow! Fantastic "fizz" and good head that lasted all the way to me finishing my first pint!
Great flavour and a great summer easy drinking pint, I was also amazed how it had already changed in chracter from only 4 days in the bottles, and had lost the yeasty "raw" flavour to it.
Off on hols now for a couple of weeks and on my return will get me and the brother on this and have a good session on it!
Coopers Lager next for me!!!
Lets just say I have the bug from my first effort!!!

:cheers:

Tasted this after a couple of weeks in cold condition. Tasted a bit weak and nothing really special to it...

Tried one last night, and the taste has really started coming out. Don't really know of anything I could compare it to, but it's quite a good taste. Hard bit will be leaving it to condition for longer :p

Latest posts

Back