Are my elements knackered?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
When I first got them they were chrome, then after a while they went copper now I can see patches of chrome under the copper? I'm guessing it's not good news but hoping that smeone can tell me I'm wrong.

I removed them both for a good clean tonight as one had been tripping out at 98 degrees and thought that they just needed a clean and I've spotted this chrome under copper colour.

Am I going to have to buy new ones?

LOL - I'll get one on in a bit :D

The good news is I've given them both a good old clean and a 20L test boil with no tripping out problems, my worry is that the material underneath the copper(?) maybe harmful?

Pic to follow :oops: :lol:

Evening Wez :cheers:

This is the reason I moved to LPG.

I've replaced one too many elements and they usually threw a fit during the boil.

I just have to make sure I've always got gas on hand which I do using two bottles.

When one empties it goes back and I get a refill.

I can't brew in the house any more but to be honest I enjoy brewing outdoors now any way.

The neighbours always have a nosey and a chat and want to know when they can sample the beer.

BZ

Hmm I have thought about going gas at some point, the idea of brewing outdoors does sound nice :D

:cheers:

Wez said:
the idea of brewing outdoors does sound nice :D

Try it at 6am in February, on a patio sheltered from the sun until 1 PM . . . . . Wheres the Blue Smiley? . . . .Thats not the only thing to disappear :D . . . . 38KW burners have their uses

I once made the mistake of putting all My bits and bobs I used on brewday into the boiler after cleaning and drying it.

I stored things between brewdays in there. Seemed a safe place to keep them.

Problem was I also put the tub of sodium met in there as well. It is sealed but some sulphur dioxide escaped and it turned the element into something resembling a stalagtite.

All the chrome was gone and just the copper remained... :oops:

So don't ever do that :pray:

I'm a bit undecided on this one. AFAIK elements are plated copper tube. The copper tube used in construction is a lot thicker than most oldy worldy type coppers/boilers, and they never sprung a leak due to the acidity of the wort :D

Back