Country Wines and Foraging

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean you've strained it, not racked it.

Without searching for recipes, I'm guessing a bit of tannin might not go amiss with a flower wine, try chewing a few and see if they dry your tongue.

Don't add tannins to leaves, most berries, and things like pears if the skins are going into the bucket at the start.

my first elderflower is currently fermenting. CJJ Berry oes nto mention tannin, Jack keller does. I decided to use 1/4 a teaspoon.

Not read the full thread so don't know if anyone has posted this?

I baught this book http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/book ... year_book/ a few years ago and it's fantastic.

It has very clear ilustrations for identification and is set up on a monthly layout with recipes in there too.
It's not so much a book for wine making but all the hedgerow ingredients are there.

Andy

So I am loving making wine from foraged ingredents but I have a quick question about degassing. As it is best to store country wines in bulk for 6-12 months is it important to degass the wine? My Nettle wine is maturing in bulk at the moment and have had to change from air lock to solid bung. I have not degassed it but do you think it will be ok?

I have managed to free up some DJs though for the blackberry and elder berry season. Very excited :party:

alanywiseman said:
So I am loving making wine from foraged ingredents but I have a quick question about degassing. As it is best to store country wines in bulk for 6-12 months is it important to degass the wine? My Nettle wine is maturing in bulk at the moment and have had to change from air lock to solid bung. I have not degassed it but do you think it will be ok?

I have managed to free up some DJs though for the blackberry and elder berry season. Very excited :party:

Give it a shake, if it fizzes it's not degassed properly. I have a couple of DJs of cherry wine which have ben sitting under airlock for about a month, they looked degassed but when Ishook them a huge amount of co2 came out. Best to degass them properly in my view.

Latest posts

Back