How are everyone's vines?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pinot noirs are looking magnificent, but I sprayed them today with systhane as a precaution against powdery mildew, as there is talk of rain. There is also talk of a good fruit harvest in the UK.
There is a pair of semi tame crows who regard the vineyard as part of their territory and thet chase off wood pigeons. Nonetheless, I have completed the installation of netting in stretegic areas.
Had my first incident of theft. I had 5 x 35 litre bags of bark chips ready to deploy. Their total value as new is less than £10. These were taken. Some pretty desperate and stupid people out there!
A Danish guy approached me today. He used to have several Triomphe d'Alsace vines, which he recommended, and said he could get me some cuttings in the autumn.
I planted a Golden Chasselas today, which brings the number of varieties to 10.

I have a few leaves on each of mine, and on a couple the buds are just breaking. You guys are all well ahead of me in Norfolk. But, mine were only put into the ground last year, another plot holders established vine is about the same, and even the fig against the house wall only has a few leaves starting to open. Must be local variations in climate. Only one of the none new vines shows no signs of life at all. Or it could be my concerns about drainage on the low-lying ground were correct.

Well I've got a load of berries!!!

u7uvu3a4.jpg
nu8e6a5y.jpg

Just gotta get the netting up this weekend...

West London is the hottest place in the UK, but also the driest, so the young vines have needed water to keep them going, until 20 mm of rain fell in 3 days, thankfully. However, this raises the spectre of the mildew which ruined the entire crop last year, so I resprayed with Systhane immediately after the first downpour.
I tested the soil and found it too acidic, with a pH of less than 6.0, so I applied lots of garden lime, which is basically calcium, which 'unlocks' nutrients in the soil, and magnesium, which boosts disease resistance. The recent rain has washed this down to the roots with stunning results. The grapes have swelled to almost double their size and isolated pockets of mildew have been stopped in their tracks.
The scale insects have been exterminated and a small colony of aphids has been destroyed. I am in the process of laying down slate scree on top of the bark chips and rapidly decaying cheap weed control fabric. It's expensive stuff, so the garden centre is selling it half price because nobody buys it. I am now their best customer for it, but stock is running low. Apart from being a permanent weed/moisture control system, it adds a heat storage radiator effect and provides a hostile environment for pest eggs and fungal spores.

tonyhibbett said:
laying down slate scree

Interesting - that's what I have. The previous owners made a lovely sort of... erm... area with it including the vine... Sweet!

Latest posts

Back