Col. RN Harrison (Mead)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the delay - only pop in here every now and then. I used bog-standard white wine yeast I think. I did make up another batch of this - came out even better. If you do use hops, wrap in newspaper to keep the light out! Have fun.

I was thinking of doing a gallon of this, but holding back some of the spices until the main ferment is over, as some flavours can be lost when the yeast is doing its thing.
Would that be a good idea?
How well do those spices come through following the original recipe?

Think I know what I'll be doing tomorro :whistle:
Looks amazing. Never tried mead before so I'm going to scale it down to 2 gallon and bottle it up and have a couple at Xmas. Then try and resist the urge from what you lot were saying, to save it for a year.
Thanks for the recipe tony, I think I will have fun with this one. :thumb:

I've only ever tried making mead before I learnt patience how to brew properly, resulting in a cloudy drink that tasted of yeast and bitterness. It has somewhat scarred my impression of the drink, but I love honey so i should try it again at some point!

rickthebrew said:
Hello tony, long time no see!! You still brewing?

:drink:

Hey Rick
Haven't for a while due to various bits of **** happening in my life... however, just ordered gear for a single grain, single hop brew so should be back in the sadle at the weekend!

How goes life and all that jazz with you? :cheers:

oldbloke said:
I was thinking of doing a gallon of this, but holding back some of the spices until the main ferment is over, as some flavours can be lost when the yeast is doing its thing.

Hi Oldbloke!
That's not a bad idea, never thought of it - however, the flavours are noticable albeit very subtle... and I think I'd not really want them to be any more powerful, personal taste I suppose. If you do hold them back, let me know how it goes!
:cheers:

JonnyD said:
Think I know what I'll be doing tomorro :whistle:
Looks amazing. Never tried mead before so I'm going to scale it down to 2 gallon and bottle it up and have a couple at Xmas. Then try and resist the urge from what you lot were saying, to save it for a year.
Thanks for the recipe tony, I think I will have fun with this one. :thumb:

:D No problem, good luck with it and let me know how it goes!

Tony said:
oldbloke said:

Hi Oldbloke!
That's not a bad idea, never thought of it - however, the flavours are noticable albeit very subtle... and I think I'd not really want them to be any more powerful, personal taste I suppose. If you do hold them back, let me know how it goes!
:cheers:

Noticable but subtle is good for me. I'll stick with the recipe as written (but adjusting honey to aim for 15%+)

Note to others enthused by this thread: the first 2 meads I made were a bit rough when first bottled, getting interesting after a few months, and at 18 months old have come really good. It takes that long. You need patience!

Tony said:
rickthebrew said:
Hello tony, long time no see!! You still brewing?

:drink:

Hey Rick
Haven't for a while due to various bits of **** happening in my life... however, just ordered gear for a single grain, single hop brew so should be back in the sadle at the weekend!

How goes life and all that jazz with you? :cheers:

Yes all good - still brewing but not on the forum as much :D still check in and see what's happening though, hope your **** hasn't been to bad buddy :)

Cheers :drink:

Finally got round to making a batch of this today, only making a one gallon batch though so I divided all the ingredients by 3.5...not sure if that's right but hey...too late now! :lol:

It smells lovely! Looking forward to trying this in a few months time :thumb:

Hello, I have a couple of questions if thats ok? Im completely brand new to brewing, I actually only ordered my kit the other day but I came across this recipe and thought it sounded great and I'd love to try to make it sometime, so I just wanted to make sure I had all my facts straight before I give it a go :) Sorry if these seem like simple questions.
It says to cool to fermentation temperature, what would that be around?
And also 70g of brewers sugar for conditioning, when and how do I add and use it?
And one last question, Ive seen in some of the comments that people left it in a demijohn. Can I transfer it to that and leave it in there instead of bottling it? Or maybe leave half in there and bottle the other half?
Thanks for any responses :)

Miralore said:
Hello, I have a couple of questions if thats ok? Im completely brand new to brewing, I actually only ordered my kit the other day but I came across this recipe and thought it sounded great and I'd love to try to make it sometime, so I just wanted to make sure I had all my facts straight before I give it a go :) Sorry if these seem like simple questions.
It says to cool to fermentation temperature, what would that be around?
And also 70g of brewers sugar for conditioning, when and how do I add and use it?
And one last question, Ive seen in some of the comments that people left it in a demijohn. Can I transfer it to that and leave it in there instead of bottling it? Or maybe leave half in there and bottle the other half?
Thanks for any responses :)

Hi there questions is what this forum is here for :)

1 - Fermentation temp is between 18 - 22 celsius (around room temperature) anything above 24-26c will stress out the yeast and can cause fusel alcohol production (will give you really bad headaches) and off-flavours (anything from acetone nail-polish like flavours to unwanted banana and other fruity esters). If you are brewing this in a demi-john easiest way to cool down is to place the warm demi-john in a sink/bucket of cold water...or just leave it to cool down somewhere naturally

2 - the 70g of sugar i think should rather read "for carbonation" this would be for after fermentation is complete and you have bottled the mead. I still haven't bottled my mead and am unsure if I'm going to leave it flat or carbonate...I might split the batch and try half/half...

3 - the first post is a recipe for a 20 litre batch so you would need to brew the lot in a big fermenter or split it between 4 demijohns. When I made this I scaled the recipe down to do just a 1 gallon batch to fit one demijohn. When leaving it to mature and condition its best to leave it as big a batch size as possible so as to avoid large temp changes (a larger volume in one lot will take longer to heat up or cool down than smaller batches. You can condition in a bottle but you may want to be more careful about where you store it to avoid temperature swings? My batch is still in the demi-john although I have racked (transferred) it into a new clean demijohn to get it off the trub. I will bottle this soon I think when I get round to it although the longer you leave it to mature the better it should be (hopefully) :lol:

Hope that helps and good luck :thumb:

This forum is great and gives great advice from very knowledgeable homebrewers. Lovin' your pic, Conon :) Easy to forget that even stormtroopers need to go to the loo ;)

Great! Thank you so much for your help :D Im really excited to try this, maybe a little too much :P

I racked my mead again today with the intention of bottling it however it is still sitting at an SG of 1032...I decided to add some sugar (25g) and more yeast and nutrient to try and get it down further. The taste from the trial jar however was frickin' gorgeous! Wow it tastes great!:party:

Latest posts

Back