Black Rock Whispering Wheat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryF

Brew Numpty
Reaction score
I picked this up cheap online as the tin had been mis-labelled, I got it for £9 including delivery. I checked it on the Black Rock website and they advise that the kit is 16 IBU, this is a bit low for me so I used up the last of my Galaxy hops to give it a kick.

Black Rock Whispering Wheat - 22/08/15 - 12/09/15 - summer temps - no temp control
Maribrew 514 yeast + 1tsp Yeast Nutrient
1Kg Youngs Beer Enhancer + 175g honey
25g Galaxy hops, 20m boil, tea and bag added to FV
OG:1064 -

Very nice taste in the sampling jar, I can already taste the kick of the Galaxy hops. OG is a little high but the Mauribrew doesn't attenuate the best in the world but I am planning to give this three weeks in the FV before bottling so the proof will be in the FG. I'll be priming 500ml bottles with a heaped half teaspoon of sugar.

I picked this up cheap online as the tin had been mis-labelled, I got it for £9 including delivery. I checked it on the Black Rock website and they advise that the kit is 16 IBU, this is a bit low for me so I used up the last of my Galaxy hops to give it a kick.

Black Rock Whispering Wheat - 22/08/15 - 12/09/15 - summer temps - no temp control
Maribrew 514 yeast + 1tsp Yeast Nutrient
1Kg Youngs Beer Enhancer + 175g honey
25g Galaxy hops, 20m boil, tea and bag added to FV
OG:1064 -

Very nice taste in the sampling jar, I can already taste the kick of the Galaxy hops. OG is a little high but the Mauribrew doesn't attenuate the best in the world but I am planning to give this three weeks in the FV before bottling so the proof will be in the FG. I'll be priming 500ml bottles with a heaped half teaspoon of sugar.

I am doing this too and got it from the same mislabeled source. I am just using a beer enhancer pack and no hop additions as I want to get a feel for this kit. I pitched at 25degrees and the OG was around 1042/44 I think although with the warm weather this might be a lie. Taste in the jar is slightly malty and wheaty (a bit of bread taste) but not much body and no real hops. I used the little 5g yeast packet that came with the kit.

I bottled this on 05/09/15 with an OG:1064 - FG:1006, just over 7%, definitely over did the added fermentalbles a bit. However, it's a very nice drink, it's a bit cloudy but I don't know if that's because it's a wheat beer or because the summer temps in the shed aren't cold conditioning my beers as well as in the winter and a couple of brews have been a bit cloudy. However it's deceptively nice and goes down very easy but it does have a kick like a mule. It's my first Black Rock kit and I'm impressed with it and if I see any of their kits on special offer again I'll certainly snap them up.

I bottled this on 05/09/15 with an OG:1064 - FG:1006, just over 7%, definitely over did the added fermentalbles a bit. However, it's a very nice drink, it's a bit cloudy but I don't know if that's because it's a wheat beer or because the summer temps in the shed aren't cold conditioning my beers as well as in the winter and a couple of brews have been a bit cloudy. However it's deceptively nice and goes down very easy but it does have a kick like a mule. It's my first Black Rock kit and I'm impressed with it and if I see any of their kits on special offer again I'll certainly snap them up.

Been waiting to see this as I too have an out of date kit but not got around to doing it yet. Planning on adding some wheat malt, curaçao peel and crushed coriander to it, I am now inspired to crack on and get it done :)

Demig

Back