HBC Golden Pale Ale Full Extract Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukehgriffiths

Reaction score
So I won this kit as part of the hbc competition... first impressions... whoa VFM for 16odd quid you get a good deal.
utf-8BQ0FNMDAyMjUuanBn_zpsc201a2d6.jpg

Extract, grain, grain bag, whirlfloc, hops (with times), safale yeast, instructions
Only complaint at this point is that the hop bags came in the grain bag and made a bit of an avoidable mess...
Starting...instructions provided were unclear and sparse my tamed brewing newbie didn't really get them (ones on the web are much more detailed but contradicted the ones provided in terms of soak and sparge water)...

In fact I used too much water as a result of instructions being a bit unclear (I think).
After this easy peasy...
Soak
utf-8BQ0FNMDAyMjcuanBn_zpsfcddb583.jpg

Sparge
utf-8BQ0FNMDAyMjYuanBn_zpscb4faf73.jpg

Top up (says 26 litres is that the total to top up to or top up with?) I topped up with 26 litres
Boil adding hops as indicated.
utf-8BQ0FNMDAyMjguanBn_zpsa5aa96b7.jpg

Hops smelled great!

Cool and drain (It didn't say to leave flame out hops until slightly cooled but I did)
utf-8BQ0FNMDAyMjkuanBn_zpsc566189b.jpg

Add yeast was really foamy so I stirred it in
utf-8BQ0FNMDAyMzAuanBn_zps7f9ba210.jpg

Really impressed by colour and smell but 1032 seemed low (expected FG not indicated) possibly due to water error but also possible as only 3kg Malt Extract and a little grain.
utf-8BQ0FNMDAyMzEuanBn_zps0244e193.jpg

Overall really impressed just needs clearer instructions. My hired newbie was inspired to give brewing another go after prior failure.

Luke

Nice work, might be a bit weak with adding 26L of water as opposed to making up to the required volume of 26L but... it'll still be a mighty fine beer :cheers:

Yeah... didn't seem a ridiculous amount to add 26 + 4 litres, less grain absorbed water, less 10% boil losses, less hop absorbed water, less dead space...

I don't mind weak so long as it is tasty.

So it has come to two months since the delivery... deadline day for tasting review according to Ts and Cs.

WIN_20151009_21_19_03_Pro_zpsus0wg8q7.jpg

Here it is then.

Taste reminds me of a Woodforde's Wherry kit I brewed and hopped last year. Slightly nicer if anything.

Would I recommend it... yes I think so. As mentioned earlier the value is good and it is better than beer kits that I have done.

Would I buy it again... not sure. The quicker brewing process made things easier and simpler to fit in but I do think the raw ingredients AG method leads to a nicer drink and is worth the extra time. This said maybe if I had used the correct amount of water (see first review) it would have been a bit nicer and make me more inclined to do the odd brew like this because it is less of a commitment timewise.

Eight days on and taste is already improving. Very easy to drink now and a welcome break from the hefty porter i am working through.

Makes me more likely to buy similar having given it time to mature.

Latest posts

Back