(Not really a) Hoppy Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops_and_Dreams

Landlord.
Reaction score
Want to give the new Cool Brewing bag a test run and as it's still relatively cool, thought I'd try a pretend hoppy lager.

This is on a whim, based on things I already have and would welcome some advice/opinions as I've not attempted this style before.

NZ Lager

OG 1047
FG 1007
IBU 30
SRM 2
ABV 5.3%

4kg Lager Malt
250g Carapils

15g Green Bullet 60min
10g Motueka 20min
10g Motueka 5min
30g Motueka 0min

Mash 60min at 64c?
Ferment with US-05 at 17c?

You could ferment cooler if you want to test out the cool bag and ferment at 15C. The only downside you might find is I've read US-05 can give a peachy flavours when fermented cool. You also might need two packets. I haven't tried US-05 at 15C but I've used notty (wilko ale) and used two packets

You could ferment cooler if you want to test out the cool bag and ferment at 15C. The only downside you might find is I've read US-05 can give a peachy flavours when fermented cool. You also might need two packets. I haven't tried US-05 at 15C but I've used notty (wilko ale) and used two packets

I did read that people have used nottingham. I've got a couple of packets of GV12 in the fridge that need using up, so that's an option.

I think my limiting factor will be how many freezer blocks I can fit in the freezer. I'd need quite a few to get down to 15c I think.

Did you use 2 x 2ltr bottles for yours?

I did US at 16-17 and it was fine for what I could taste.. I only needed a single packet.

In fact it is really really good.

How close to a lager did it turn out? To be honest, if mine turns out like a golden ale, it's not the end of the world. As long as it's something that tastes good cold for the summer, then I'll be happy!

How close to a lager did it turn out? To be honest, if mine turns out like a golden ale, it's not the end of the world. As long as it's something that tastes good cold for the summer, then I'll be happy!

Seriously? really really good, it easily passes as a lager, at a party last week loads of people tried and loved it and not one thought it was anothing other than a lager..

@myqul suggested i lager them for 4 weeks in a fridge which is really good to do, it gives it that smooth distinct lager crispness, for those I cannot wait on I enjoy as like light psuedo ales.. but the lagered ones are really spot on if that is what you're after..

for mine I used bobek and sjvanski goldings hops so it was a little slovenian..

Seriously? really really good, it easily passes as a lager, at a party last week loads of people tried and loved it and not one thought it was anothing other than a lager..

@myqul suggested i lager them for 4 weeks in a fridge which is really good to do, it gives it that smooth distinct lager crispness, for those I cannot wait on I enjoy as like light psuedo ales.. but the lagered ones are really spot on if that is what you're after..

for mine I used bobek and sjvanski goldings hops so it was a little slovenian..

Unfortunately I won't have the space to lager it properly, so will have to make do. Maybe in the winter when I can just stick it in the shed.

Cant remeber how many I used but it was something like that. Deffo wouldn't have been more than 2x2L though

I was a bit disappointed to find food in my freezer hop drawer. Good news is that now the food has been moved, there's plenty of room for 2 x 2ltr bottles - all good for a brew day on Saturday!

I was a bit disappointed to find food in my freezer hop drawer. Good news is that now the food has been moved, there's plenty of room for 2 x 2ltr bottles - all good for a brew day on Saturday!

Who needs food when you've got beer :party:

Have you taken an ambient temp reading where your going to put your brew bag? You many not even need 2x2L The weather has turned cold and I've only need 1x 500ml ice bottle in the brew bag at the mo. I'm fermenting at about 17C-18C as my kitchen floor is about 18.5C

Who needs food when you've got beer :party:

Have you taken an ambient temp reading where your going to put your brew bag? You many not even need 2x2L The weather has turned cold and I've only need 1x 500ml ice bottle in the brew bag at the mo. I'm fermenting at about 17C-18C as my kitchen floor is about 18.5C

It's about 18C where I brew, which normally results in the FV being 21/22 under fermentation. I was aiming for 13c in the bag to give 16c when fermenting. Does that sound about right?

It's about 18C where I brew, which normally results in the FV being 21/22 under fermentation. I was aiming for 13c in the bag to give 16c when fermenting. Does that sound about right?

I generally aim for ambient temp in the bag. So if I was to aim for 16C in the bag with a general ambient tempt of 18C I would use 2L of ice to drop the temp 2 degrees in the bag to 16C. I dont take the extra heat generated by fermentation into account as the 1L of ice per 1degree C seem to take care of this/into account

I generally aim for ambient temp in the bag. So if I was to aim for 16C in the bag with a general ambient tempt of 18C I would use 2L of ice to drop the temp 2 degrees in the bag to 16C. I dont take the extra heat generated by fermentation into account as the 1L of ice per 1degree C seem to take care of this/into account
Ah ok, thanks.

Latest posts

Back