1 Gallon SMaSH

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyD

Reaction score
I'm shooting in the dark with this so hopefully someone who actually knows what they are doing will be able to help.

I'd like to make a 1 gallon SMaSH and I thought for my first one I would try using MO and EKG.

These figures are semi-random but I came up with this :

1kg MO pale
8g EKG pellets @ 60 minutes
4g EKG pellets @ 30 minutes
4g EKG pellets @ 15 minutes
teeny bit of Irish Moss @ 15 minutes
4g EKG @ 0 minutes
S-04 yeast

That would be a 60 minute boil using 2.3 litres of water in the mash and 3.8 litres of water to sparge.

I used a couple of online calculators that seemed to suggest this would give an end result that fit into some acceptable range (apart from SRM) but I've obviously no real idea.

Would this be OK or can someone suggest a recipe that will work? I'm open to changing every single aspect of the ingredients and process!

Also how much yeast would you use in a 1 gallon recipe in general or does it vary depending on the malt used?

Cheers

Looks ok that Billy. I'd ditch the 30 minute hops and divide them between the 60 minute and 15 minute additions; you'll retain the IBUs but gain some more aroma.

As for the yeast, you only need about a quarter of the packet, but pitching half isn't going to hurt and its easier to gauge half a pack rather than a quarter pack. Just seal it up with some tape and stick it in the fridge for another brew.

Hi mate, the recipe looks very good indeed.
I agree with Notlaw's comment on splitting the 30 minutes' hops (or -if you want a hoppy one- just add more in the 60 and 15 minutes' additions and leave the 30 minutes addition as it is... After all, that'll only give more flavour to your beer).
Regarding the yeast, I almost always brew small batches and always pitch half a packet (normally these range between 10 to 12 grams). So far, I've never had any bad results. Again, I agree with Notlaw, just spray some starsan before opening the packet and then seal it with tape and put it in the fridge (I normally use them within a week -so far, nothing wrong-). Cheers! :cheers:

Sounds pretty good to me. I'd echo what the others have said here. Half a packet of yeast should do the job

I'm shooting in the dark with this so hopefully someone who actually knows what they are doing will be able to help.

I'd like to make a 1 gallon SMaSH and I thought for my first one I would try using MO and EKG.

These figures are semi-random but I came up with this :

1kg MO pale
8g EKG pellets @ 60 minutes
4g EKG pellets @ 30 minutes
4g EKG pellets @ 15 minutes
teeny bit of Irish Moss @ 15 minutes
4g EKG @ 0 minutes
S-04 yeast

That would be a 60 minute boil using 2.3 litres of water in the mash and 3.8 litres of water to sparge.

I used a couple of online calculators that seemed to suggest this would give an end result that fit into some acceptable range (apart from SRM) but I've obviously no real idea.

Would this be OK or can someone suggest a recipe that will work? I'm open to changing every single aspect of the ingredients and process!

Also how much yeast would you use in a 1 gallon recipe in general or does it vary depending on the malt used?

Cheers

Ive just done a larger brew similar to that. I used WLP 028 yeast and its lovely. Not unlike a 70:- but lighter in colour.
I used a 90 min boil
Hops were
70, 50, and 20 min

Cheers
John

Cheers people, will take the advice about the hops at 30 mins on board and hopefully get it brewed this weekend.

Latest posts

Back