Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I was hoping I'd damaged it in some way. I'll buy a couple more and give them another go. Love having the party star tap and a keg in my fridge so hopefully it works out.

What’s your cleaning regime? The one keg I had the issue with was 2nd Hand, and I believe the previous owner used bleach in them.

What’s your cleaning regime? The one keg I had the issue with was 2nd Hand, and I believe the previous owner used bleach in them.

I was using oxyclean, leave it in for half an hour, rinse several times. Then I was putting a drop of starsan, putting the plastic lid on, shaking a few times and leaving it. Maybe the starsan was in to long until I used it again, I've a feeling as it's acidic it burnt away at the covering in the metal.

I've still got an odour coming off mine. Any ideas how to get rid? Also read somewhere not to use boiling water. I did this yesterday. Does it mean I can't use it now?

I've still got an odour coming off mine. Any ideas how to get rid? Also read somewhere not to use boiling water. I did this yesterday. Does it mean I can't use it now?

My understanding of MKs is that boiling water can lift or otherwise damage the very thin internal plastic liner so its use isn't recommended. However, you may have got away with it and if so you could still use it.

It very much depends on the "smell". If it's a "musty" smell I would fill it with a weak solution of Tesco Thin Bleach and let it stand for about an hour before starting a rinsing regime to remove the odour of bleach.

If it's a "rusty" smell then the internal liner is probably damaged and the MK is rusting away. In this case I wouldn't even try to clean it.

For the future, the secret is to wash out the MK immediately after it's empty.

I use half litres of cold water to rinse it at least five times. I shake the MK like mad and then drain the water out of the top for the first two "shakes" and out of the tap and the top for the last three "shakes".

I then spray a very fine spray of diluted StarSan inside the keg, wait ten minutes, give it a very light rinse and then turn it upside down (with the tap open) and let it drain. I then shake the MK every time that I pass it to ensure that it is drained. (Even after four or five days I can still shake some water out of it.)

When I'm happy that there's little or no moisture inside I turn it upside down on a clean sheet of kitchen paper and forget about it until I need to refill it.

Prior to further use I sanitise it with diluted StarSan and then rinse it out with cold water just prior to filling,

Hope this helps. :thumb:

My understanding of MKs is that boiling water can lift or otherwise damage the very thin internal plastic liner so its use isn't recommended. However, you may have got away with it and if so you could still use it.

It very much depends on the "smell". If it's a "musty" smell I would fill it with a weak solution of Tesco Thin Bleach and let it stand for about an hour before starting a rinsing regime to remove the odour of bleach.

If it's a "rusty" smell then the internal liner is probably damaged and the MK is rusting away. In this case I wouldn't even try to clean it.

For the future, the secret is to wash out the MK immediately after it's empty.

I use half litres of cold water to rinse it at least five times. I shake the MK like mad and then drain the water out of the top for the first two "shakes" and out of the tap and the top for the last three "shakes".

I then spray a very fine spray of diluted StarSan inside the keg, wait ten minutes, give it a very light rinse and then turn it upside down (with the tap open) and let it drain. I then shake the MK every time that I pass it to ensure that it is drained. (Even after four or five days I can still shake some water out of it.)

When I'm happy that there's little or no moisture inside I turn it upside down on a clean sheet of kitchen paper and forget about it until I need to refill it.

Prior to further use I sanitise it with diluted StarSan and then rinse it out with cold water just prior to filling,

Hope this helps. :thumb:

Great advice. To be fair it smells more like stale beer really quite alcoholic in smell. It might be worth not risking it. Will teach me for next time!

Has anyone used these kegs to keep lager in? was just wondering if they would do and what sugar levels would be needed to get correct carbonation.

The MAXIMUM recommended for my MKs is 5 grams per litre of ordinary sugar. (I usually use 3g/litre.)

As this is way below the recommended priming rate for a Lager (as given by the above Calculator) I have never used an MK for Lager.

The MAXIMUM recommended for my MKs is 5 grams per litre of ordinary sugar. (I usually use 3g/litre.)

As this is way below the recommended priming rate for a Lager (as given by the above Calculator) I have never used an MK for Lager.
Thanks Dutto for your quick reply guess i will stick with bottles for the few lagers i have planned

I’ve just inherited a mini keg....the type with the three part bung and pull out tap you twist to the left. I’ve successfully removed the bung without damaging it and given it a good rinse ready for sanitising.
So....on bottling day,I just prime,fill and bung...how much priming sugar for a British style ale?
Are these type of kegs compatible with the gas powered tap that clamps across the top?

Cheers

Clint

I’ve just inherited a mini keg....the type with the three part bung and pull out tap you twist to the left. I’ve successfully removed the bung without damaging it and given it a good rinse ready for sanitising.
So....on bottling day,I just prime,fill and bung...how much priming sugar for a British style ale?

Are these type of kegs compatible with the gas powered tap that clamps across the top?

Cheers

Clint
Yes you can use the party star deluxe tap with them.

I would prime between 12-15g of sugar

Im tired of bottling
And I'm off camping in may so I need to get a brew on in the next week or two . I don't want to deviate away from the idea of a mini keg cos these seem ideal
But would this'be a steal from eBay?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beer-mini-...hash=item4d4147d60b:m:mX0bO132pUsmrkARUSs3--w

Chippy If theres already a thread on a growler on here please don't hesitate on moving it over

Cheers

A 5 litre mini keg costs £6 that is £50 For a 2 litre keg. Not a steal in my eyes

Surprised nobody on here has turned a pressure sprayer into a mini-keg. I'm going to do a few if Wilko put the price down to £2.50 each as they have the last few years. Didn't know it was a thing but it seems a much better option as you can get higher pressure and I'd just add schrader valves like I've done with pressure barrels.

Surprised nobody on here has turned a pressure sprayer into a mini-keg. I'm going to do a few if Wilko put the price down to £2.50 each as they have the last few years. Didn't know it was a thing but it seems a much better option as you can get higher pressure and I'd just add schrader valves like I've done with pressure barrels.

I assume you're talking about the pressurised garden sprayers, in which case that's a really interesting idea. Would be interested to hear more about that one and how you would go about it.

Presumably you'd need to replace the hand pump bit with something that allows you to inject CO2, otherwise you're just pressurising with air so would be introducing oxygen. I had a quick check online and a 5L one is pressure rated to 36ps, so that should be fine - just wonder whether it would retain that pressure.

Could go further and get a back-pack version!

I assume you're talking about the pressurised garden sprayers, in which case that's a really interesting idea. Would be interested to hear more about that one and how you would go about it.

Presumably you'd need to replace the hand pump bit with something that allows you to inject CO2, otherwise you're just pressurising with air so would be introducing oxygen. I had a quick check online and a 5L one is pressure rated to 36ps, so that should be fine - just wonder whether it would retain that pressure.

Could go further and get a back-pack version!

Yes and some kind of head gear and tubes dispensing beer straight to the mouth.

If you like your beer sprayed into a glass

You'd have to remove the actual spray head bit of course, but assuming you could get the pressures right, it would be no different to any other pressurised keg.

Maybe this needs a thread of its own to discuss further but I do like the idea of using plastic canisters like this, at a fraction of the cost of their SS counterparts. Just seems to be a case of finding the right sort of adapters etc.

You'd have to remove the actual spray head bit of course, but assuming you could get the pressures right, it would be no different to any other pressurised keg.

Maybe this needs a thread of its own to discuss further but I do like the idea of using plastic canisters like this, at a fraction of the cost of their SS counterparts. Just seems to be a case of finding the right sort of adapters etc.
The cost difference is £3.50 without adding adapters etc so not worth it in my eyes.

Latest posts

Back