Videne - Is it that easy to use

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
metal micky said:
could you use beer line cleaner its about £5 / gal at macro?? :hmm:
For cleaning and sanitising yes . . . .but it needs rinsing before you allow beer or wort anywhere near it . . . The beauty of iodophors is that at the proper concentrations they are no rinse . . .just drip dry

local chemist just said not heard of it

went to his computer typed it in
there it was £6.20 a bottle will be here in the morning

fantastic service

another advantage of videne is that you can reuse it until it looses its colour ive still got 1/4 of a bottle left a year after I bought it :party:

mashman said:
Anyone used peracetic acid ? ? ? Commercial brewers use it.

Peracetic Acid is very nasty stuff in the wrong hands, Its a brilliant no rinse sanitiser when diluted to the correct concentrations, but undiluted its very very nasty stuff, only to be used by trained people with the correct PPE and good ventilation.

If I didn't have young kids around I would use peracetic, with caution, but due to the kids I won't have it near the house.

Videne does the trick though.

UP

I went into my local chemist this morning and they said they didn't stock Videne but they looked in their trade catalogue and they said it is available as a solution or as a tincture in 500ml containers for nearly 7 quid.

If I were to order it what do I need, solution or tincture ?

How is everyone else getting there's and in what amounts ?

mashman said:
If I were to order it what do I need, solution or tincture ?
You want the Antiseptic Solution.

I bought mine online from expresschemist, but 500ml goes a long way.

got mine on saturday morning

end up getting it for £6

so now to get it ready

so what is the right no rinse mix ratio? 125ml to 1l?
how long can it last mixed?

Titch said:
NO!

One POINT two five ml per litre

A teaspoonful to a gallon.

Moley said:
Titch said:
NO!
One POINT two five ml per litre.
Juist to reiterate that last point

NO!!ONE POINT TWO FIVE ML PER LITRE

I failed to do that one time, and a fellow brewer used Peracetic acid (Actually the 15% peracid version not the weak piddly 5% stuff) neat as no rinse in a corny . . . everything was fine until he shoved his nose in and gave it a great big sniff . . . . At least he will never have to worry about unsightly nose hair any more

... and in answer to part 2 of your question, you can re-use the diluted solution a few times on the same day while it's still got some colour left in it.

For large things like fermenting buckets, try to find yourself a trigger action spray bottle, the surfaces only need wetting.

got a bottle here ready

so mix use for everything then bin

cool

now to find my next kit maybe a wherry
then tidy garage and go extract or AG

How long does the solution last ? Moley says use it a few times in one day.

I made up a 1l spray bottle for my hydrometer, thermometer etc... Does it lose its properties after a while if diluted ?

Just got my bottle of Videne from Boots today - so, 1.25 ml per litre, into a spray bottle, then is it just a case of spray away, and then leave to dry - NO rinse needed?? is that correct??

Latest posts

Back