cleaning nylon bags

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tezerh

Reaction score
hi guys and girls

whats the best way to clean a reusable nylon bag after a brew? i have washed the hops and grain out the best i can with water but some particles are still stuck an i obviously do not want that in my next brew, do i also need to sterilize it as well with VWP or sodium metaphosite

I've never used them for brewing but I do use nylon bags for straining wine musts.

It seems to be almost impossible to keep them completely clean, but if you use them with the seams on the outside the problem is reduced.

After use, mine are washed as well as I can in the sink, then they go in the washing machine, then they are boiled in a stock pot of water for at least 10 minutes immediately before next use.

I rinse out as best I can with a hose then as per Moley throw in the washing machine. I do it on a quick cold wash, no powder.

I use muslin and nylon for my straining too and found by accident if you soak in a dilute bleach solution in a bucket over night they come up brilliant. Rinse first to get most of the must out of them then soak and finally rinse with clean water then bung in washing machine to finish off.

Back