Cask ale setup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
70 pints is way too much to get through for us though .. If we could get it to keep fresh for 6 or 7 days it might be alright but if not then it's too much.

Do you think a cask breather would keep it drinkable for that long?

A cask breather would kep it fresh longer than that. I drank my pin dry in a week and it was past it's best by day 6 although still better than my local. And that was without a cask breather.

/Phil.

Might be able to borrow a 9 from one of the local breweries then. :cool:

Any idea if only filling it 3/4 would be plausible?

Should be OK if you flush it with CO2 first and give it enough primings to pressure up the headspace to allow it to condition.

/Phil.

33L mashtun, 53L kettle.. not sure if I could brew a 40L batch.

Don't have any CO2, I'll just try to fill it as much as I can I suppose.

To be honest it makes more sense to get a pin. Only 4.5 gallons which will probably be a normal batch size for you. I fill two pins from a batch and have a couple of gallons left for a keg.

I don't know how often I will use the 9 gallon ones but big and shiny is good in my book so they're worth a look.

/Phil.

That's a shame. Thye've ended the auction early and relisted them in lots of 100 for 3.5k and individually for 58 quid. You can buy new ones for 68. I've written to them and asked if they'd consider honoring my initial bid for 33.50 each for three of them but I'm not holding out much hope :cry:

Bugger :roll:

/Phil.

I'd like to think that they would at least meet you half way on the price, after all you bid on a valid auction offer?

Looks to me that they realised that a dutch auction on 300 items was unlikely to raise the price beyond their opening price of 33.50 ;)

/Phil.

I got a response to my mail. They won't sell me the 3 casks I wanted for the price I offered. They tried to tell me they were worth 68 quid plus VAT. I can get a new one for the same money from Hereford. Never mind. :roll:

/Phil.

Back