EDME Irish Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i made this with two tablespoons of black treacle, two jars of Holland and Barret malt extract and half a kilo of brewing sugar. its being in 1 ltr pet bottles for a few months now. just tried it tonight and must say its turned out very nice.
will definitely make it again.

Short brewed to 20L with brown sugar.
Tasted at 2 weeks, it was home-brew tasting with a very liquorice tang.
Had a bottle after 5 weeks and it is lovely, dark, mellow with a long lasting head
and the homebrew tang has all but disappeared. Another few weeks should make it a winner.
Well recomended :thumb:

I made this kit quite a long time ago, using bottled mineral water, 500g demerara sugar and (I think) 500g light spraymalt.

Kegged this in a cornie, had a few samples over the first couple of months and I thought it was pretty bad, it got to 3 months plus and was a totally different drink.

Nice and dark, think browish creamy head that lasted to the bottom of the glass, and tons of flavour. Everyone that has tried it has enjoyed it, I myself may even go as far as saying I actually like this more than Guiness!

I will be doing this again, another friend of mine that home brews even went out and bought one for himself shortly after trying mine, it really was that good.

Downside: I have noticed that the kit price has gone up by a few pounds....so maybe we should start saying it tastes terrible so the price goes back down, if you can get it for under £14 id say its worth a go :cheers:

I'm going to go against the grain with this one :shock: Wasn't that impressed with the Edme Stout - didn't ferment out particularly low (1016) and took ages to get anywhere near drinkable, had a horrible yeasty tang for several months, it was only when I got to the end of my 40 odd bottles that it got anywhere near drinkable, and even then was nowhere near as nice as Coopers Stout. A mate of mine is a stout fan: I'd given him some Coopers previously and when I gave him some Edme (without mentioining it was a different kit) he said it was inferior. To be sure, I've just brewed another Coopers and even quite young it's still a much nicer stout.

All IMHO of course, but I don't think you can go wrong with an original Coopers Stout kit (great made with with Beer Enhancer, awesome with a tin of DME) :D Maybe I was unlucky but, out of 15 kits brewed, the Edme was by far the worst and I won't be doing it again.

This suprised me. It made a really tasty brew, but I was disappointed with the head, which was practically non-existent. Bottle and keep for a couple of months and you will be justly rewarded.

Well. I hope by the end of the year to be getting mine on the go. Need to get the shed built first so I can start using my kegs. No space in the house lol. But I did taste (Brewdan's) Stout from a keg. Bloody nice. That's what made me buy the kit.

Absolutly amazing brew! I always try to condition my beers for around 6 months, providing demand allows. Started drinking this after 7 months...Excellent Carbonation, good Frothy head, dissipating to a nice fresh pint. Good depth of colour, light on the palate for a stout, making it deceptively drinkable. All round, happily Quaffable.

Tried this one last spring. I added a whole tin of Lyles black treacle plus sugar plus spraymalt.
10.25% :party:
I caught many people by surprise with that one! :hat:

Ive always liked it brews quite easily, I dont do anything fancy I even use regular sugar and it still tastes good, never had a bad batch.

It does taste better the longer you leave it.

Just opened one of my bottles of edme which i bottled in march,well it tastes fantastic such a dark roast flavour with hints of liquorice,the only downside though is i only bottled 4.
cheers.

This was my first stout. It came recommended as a great drink from my mate who used dark spray malt in his. I used the Burton Bridge brew enhancer - at an extra £3 ontop of your bill spread over 40 pints i think it's worth it.

It took about 8 days to ferment, i primed bottles with just normal sugar.

I had a sneaky taste of the leftovers from bottling and wasn't that impressed - tasted very thin without much body, and I was thinking i should have short brewed it.

I had one after 2 weeks not expecting much and was absolutely delighted. Plenty of head that lasted all the way down the glass, full body great taste. Previous reviewers have got it right - there is a liquorice hint to it.

I gave a couple of bottles to a friend who drinks (shop bought) stout on the understanding he had to leave it til Christmas week. After tasting mine i sent him a text telling him he didn't have to wait!

I got a text at the weekend saying he'd given it 10/10

Now you can't knock that.

A few months on and I'm having another one thinking I'm sure there was a hint of liquorice in this, and a quick check of my prev post confirms this.

This one is a little different.

Liquorice has disappeared and it is a more 'bodied' drink.

This has really matured into a top notch drink.

Most of my brews don't see 4 months! but with stouts I usually only have one at a time.

These are fantastic and I cannot recommend them enough if you're a stout drinker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27708437@N ... hotostream

Latest posts

Back