Tesco apple juice cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christianredhat

Reaction score
Hiya from a newbie, well im wondering have I been a bit simple? Yesterday I bought 22 litres of tesco apple juice made from concentrate, put it all except 1 litre in a keg with an airlock, put the 1 litre in a bowl covered and put the Youngs yeast in after about an hour it was frothing up a bit, so I chucked it in the big container and have left it. Its fermenting very slowly (1 bubble from the airlock every 1.5 minutes, and I am now wondering if I should add other stuff? tannin, tea, yeast nutrient, sugar? any advice welcome
Thankyou
Christian
p.s my mead sitting next to it made with fresh bread yeast is mental in comparison although I made it about 72 hours ago

i have the same on used the cartons 56p
made it yesterday but not started to ferment yet i chucked everything in at the start.

this is my take on turbo cider taken from another thread.

1 gallon of 100% from concentrate apple juice (cheap is fine as along as it is 100% apple juice)
1 tsp of pectolase
1 tsp of malic acid
1 tsp of tannin or a really really really strong cup of black tea (so stong you wouldn't be able to drink it)

Some cider yeast or if you haven't some wine yeast.

Just put it all together in a sterilized DJ and let it ferment. Once it has fermented leave it for 3-6 months before bottling. This will develope the flavour that you are probably looking for.

Dont worry if it goes like this

pear-1.jpg

courtesy of tazuk

This the malolactic fermentation which turns the rather tart malic acid into lactic acid and other things.

It is very easy and straight forward. The trick is not to drink it early as you will be put off by the taste or lack of it.

Tannin and malic acid are important if you want a decent cider, so is ageing it. If you don't make additions or age it then you will be left with a rather insipid 'cider' more akin to cheap cider sold in supermarkets and probably cheaper and quicker to buy from a supermarket.

Thx for that, I have added a super strong 4 teabag cup of black tea, and Pectolase.

Cheers
Christian

If you can get some malic acid then put that in as per my instructions it really does make for a good cider. :thumb:

I can't seem to get any malic acid locally, I coul buy some of eBay, itll take three plus days to get it, will it be worth getting?
Thx
Christian

Well the home brew shop recommended that I use citric acid as they havent any Malic acid either. Would you guys agree?
Thx
Christian

Sorry but the answer is no. If you want a decent cider you need malic acid only malic will undergo malolactic fermentation.

I was just wondering which is the best juice to use.

from concentrate

Not from concentrate

any ideas please

Doesn't really matter as long as it is 100% juice with no sugar or additives which is what 'apple Juice' is, don't use any of the cheaper 'drinks as they are manly water and sugar.

Quick qs Graysalchemy what do you use to mature your cider in, I'm thinking about using my youngs 25ltr fermenter but the lids aren't airtight and I'm worried about the CO2 head dissipating after a few months.

Mark

They don't to be air tight they do need to get infected :lol: the ML fermentation produces co2 anyway. Mine is in a youngs 5 gallon wine fermentor the one with the 4" screw cap to and bung hole. By the look of tazuk's photo at the beginning of this thread he is using one of those blue food barrels and has got fantastic MLF. It should be fine. :thumb:

My latest brew was 22L and i added 5tsp malic acid, 1tsp tannin, half a tsp yeast nutrient and 500g sugar.
Tasted good on bottling but it won't be ready until July.

Nice one Ken L

just started mine off but i think a added a little to much of sugar hahaha

Hopefully it will turn out drinkable.

got to say its not as easy as u would think getting all the right ingredients, everyone had there own idea and some work out pretty damn well from what iv read..

thanks for your input anyway Ken

Latest posts

Back