Is it legal?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IN YOUR OPINION, is is legal to donate homebrew as a raffle prize?

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've got to say, this thread reads like a script from "Faulty Towers".... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Guys..
Keep up the good work. :clap:

stonegrey said:
.......... i for one am going to make the most of my beer, as i predict the UK will be completely alcohol free within 20 years.

More chance of striking matches on wet tripe :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dieseljockey said:
I've got to say, this thread reads like a script from "Faulty Towers".... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Guys..

So do most of the ideas that our wonderful succession of governments have dreamt up.

Baz Chaz said:
stonegrey said:
.......... i for one am going to make the most of my beer, as i predict the UK will be completely alcohol free within 20 years.

why do you think the government is not in the least bit concerned about the fact that 40 pubs close every month, or that alcohol tax is rising almost as fast is fuel duty.

Is it me or have the cost of raw ingredients for home brew risen sharply this year. within the next 5 years, watch for a massive resurgance in homebrewing, as more pubs shut, and shop bought beers will be overtaxed and too expensive. then they will attack the homebrewing market, to ensure there are no financial gains to made.

the first signs of "prohibition" will be a total ban of tobacco in the UK, then alcohol, within i decade of that.

stonegrey said:
Baz Chaz said:
stonegrey said:

why do you think the government is not in the least bit concerned about the fact that 40 pubs close every month, or that alcohol tax is rising almost as fast is fuel duty.

Is it me or have the cost of raw ingredients for home brew risen sharply this year. within the next 5 years, watch for a massive resurgance in homebrewing, as more pubs shut, and shop bought beers will be overtaxed and too expensive. then they will attack the homebrewing market, to ensure there are no financial gains to made.

the first signs of "prohibition" will be a total ban of tobacco in the UK, then alcohol, within i decade of that.

You'll be telling us next Wales will be 'DRY' on Sundays.

Pearlfisher said:
You'll be telling us next Wales will be 'DRY' on Sundays.
I was one of the many that voted to repeal that particular piece of legislation in 1982/1983.

And I was one of many who found themselves in a Welsh dry county on a Sunday. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Dieseljockey said:

Thanks Guys..

Sorry DJ but the pedant in me has to remind you it was Fawlty Towers :whistle:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

;)

:mrgreen:

:cheers:

oldstout said:
Dieseljockey said:

Thanks Guys..

Thought it was FLOWERYTWATS :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Baz Chaz said:
oldstout said:
Dieseljockey said:

Thanks Guys..

Thought it was FLOWERYTWATS :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ooooppss.....yes your right, it changed most weeks.... :rofl: :rofl:

This is a cracking good thread and I got thrown out on account of a factual quote but free speech survives. I recall the days of ham radio, which was heavily constrained by the DTI. You could only talk about certain things and one guy repeated the transmission: Who's afraid if the DTI, DTI, DTI?
He got raided by the DTI and his ham radio was confiscated.
I have recently experienced a digital version of this.

Reading a thread in the beer kit review section made me wonder if LHBS giving samples was legal? I remember 30 odd years ago my LHBS in Walsall would always have a beer sphere on the counter for customers to try .

Pearlfisher said:
Reading a thread in the beer kit review section made me wonder if LHBS giving samples was legal? I remember 30 odd years ago my LHBS in Walsall would always have a beer sphere on the counter for customers to try .
Which one in Walsall ?

Closure of pubs is in line with falling attendance in church. Folk seem more disinclined to congregate, but with pubs, they have particularly shot themselves in the foot. You can't have a conversation in competition with wall to wall large screen sport, cannot afford a round of drinks, can't smoke either. Yet the off license cost of cheap liquor is so low, there is talk of setting a minimum price per unit of alcohol. So now there are bans on drinking the stuff in certain public places which are not pubs!
On the face of it, the cost of homebrew kits may be rising, like everything else, but the number of cheap deals is also on the increase because it's better to reduce profits than to have no profit at all.
So would it be so evil for folk to congregate in a public place and share their homebrew without TV sport or a ban on smoking and even converse?

31bb3 said:
Pearlfisher said:
Which one in Walsall ?

It was in Wolverhampton Strret , next door to a railway model shop I think , just down from the old cinema ,which if I remember became a woolworths.
I used to go there when I lived in one of the old Rubery Owen houses in Bentley.

I remember the old ale houses of long ago ..... :oops: Where one could drop in with your mate (s) or even on your own and your dress sense not be examined as you enter. Where you could sit in in comparative quite Peace and harmony. The gentle buzz of whispered conversations around you, the occasional click of a domino on a table, followed by a sigh of defeat. The cry from the darts corner..." Oy watch me foot ! " The clatter as the Landlady came around the bar onto " our " side uttering those wonderful words.... " Who's for pie and mushy peas ". The only kid you saw was the one popping his head around the door and shouting " Dad... me mam says your teas ready ! "
To sit and contemplate the world and your little part in it, to have a smoke if you wanted to or not bemoan those that did, as those that didn't moan at the ones that ordered pickled eggs and gherkins and munched them horribly at your side. Your tie dipping into some spilt beer... Discuss and argue re your local football team that did or didn't perform well on Saturday. It was a pleasure to be there and set you up for the next few hours back into life.
Names like " Railway Tavern " " The Cock Pit " " Queen Vic " and " The Plough " now they are called obscure things like " The Rhinocerous " and " Snaffu "
and when was the last time you heard that infamous cry... " Time gentlemen please "

Sorry for this bit of nostalgia.... but you can see why my generation are partial to home brewing. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to visit an establishment that served numerous home brews in surroundings like they use to be. The market caters for the young, the money spenders I guess.... but even the young grow old eventually.

& the women were only allowed in 'the snug' or the lounge if it were a posh pub :roll:

I used to go down to the local pub on a sunday lunchtime with a big enamel jug and go to the side door into a small room, 'The Jug & Bottle' was more of a corridor, where there was a serving hatch.
They'd fill up the jug and I'd take it home covered in a tea towel. No asking about age ..... pointless really I'd only be 7 or 8 :lol: mind you there was a bit of 'spillage' on the way home despite the towel :whistle:

I belong to a bowling club and there's a Working Mens Club we play away matches at, still men only, no women unless working behind the bar (or cleaners), our female members got a bit shirty 'cos the 'ladies' was outside round the back of the building and they weren't allowed in the building itself :lol:

Latest posts

Back