Is it legal?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IN YOUR OPINION, is is legal to donate homebrew as a raffle prize?

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thanks for deleting the poll, which would have provided me with a quick idea as to what people think.

Instead I have to trawl through these various acts of Parliament, which is what I was trying to avoid.

Basically, can anyone tell me what they think in one word. I don't care if you're right or wrong any more (or even if I live or die) I just want to know what the consensus is.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You beat me to it!!

Think Moley may have been a bit hasty closing bits down on this thread :shock: :shock: :eek: :eek: it's turned into a corker :thumb:

I'm now worried that my 'Show us your stash' threads may be used in evidence against us :eek: :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

'oldstout, this court finds you guilty of supplying drink to Mrs oldstout for the procurement, nay, advancement of sexual services and whotnot and soforth and forthwith an' all that , this court, having examined the photographic evidence of your willy waving (according to the Chief Prosecution witness graysalchemy) your shed stash will be taken away for examination by the bench, and henceforth you shall spend the rest of your days behind bars, brewing hooch from your own urine - or summat similar........................... send him down' :eek: :eek: :eek:

I only fancied a cheaper pint m'lud.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

:cheers:

Beer police indeed.... wher's me borrel oppener :rofl: :rofl:

oldstout said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: You beat me too it!!

Think Moley may have been a bit hasty closing bits down on this thread :shock: :shock: :eek: :eek: it's turned into a corker :thumb:

I'm now worried that my 'Show us your stash' threads may be used in evidence against us :eek: :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

'oldstout, this court finds you guilty of supplying drink to Mrs oldstout for the procurement, nay, advancement of sexual services and whotnot and soforth and forthwith an' all that , this court, having examined the photographic evidence of your willy waving (according to the Chief Prosecution witness graysalchemy) your shed stash will be taken away for examination by the bench, and henceforth you shall spend the rest of your days behind bars, brewing hooch from your own urine - or summat similar........................... send him down' :eek: :eek: :eek:

haha thats genius. agree what you say though, this place is turning into a school classroom rather than a helpful forum.

abeyptfc said:
oldstout said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: You beat me too it!!

haha thats genius. agree what you say though, this place is turning into a school classroom rather than a helpful forum.

I love this forum me :cool:

My opinion is that it will be seen as illegal due to the fact that the raffle tickets need to be purchased. I honestly don't think you'll have anyone knocking your door down to nick you though.

If I was helping out with a raffle I wouldn't lose any sleep over giving away a few bottles of my own brew. It would take someone very anal at the event to even think about the legislation involved in the raffle prizes on offer. There are certain situations where I wouldn't be comfortable doing this but on my own patch with my own circle of people I wouldn't think twice.

The same goes for giving away bottles to mates to try out what I've made, I wouldn't think twice.

At the end of the day it's illegal to avoid telling the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing, it's treason to put a postage stamp on upside down if the queens coupon is on it and it's legal to kill a Scotsman in York if he's carrying a bow.

Weigh it ;)

ScottM said:
... The same goes for giving away bottles to mates to try out what I've made, I wouldn't think twice.

I do, the guzzling ghyttes would clear The Den Brewery out like bloody locusts :roll:

I would hope HMRC would have better things to do than bother us over a few bottles ........... but all it would take is some daft bugger with nothing better to do and the 'snowball of officialdom' would set off rolling gathering all in its path :roll:

I've cleared the shed already, poured the lot down the drain......

:whistle:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hey BB, I'll be your mate :thumb:

Your avatar alone always makes me smile :clap: :clap: :clap:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumb:

BarnsleyBrewer said:
oldstout said:
Hey BB, I'll be your mate :thumb:

Your avatar alone always makes me smile :clap: :clap: :clap:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumb:
Thanks' Mr.Stout.... :cool:

BB :D

That and where you live........
:wha: :wha: :wha: :wha:

Wombwell :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Is it real :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

;)

This is a very timely discussion for me as I have been wondering about the following hare-brained scheme..

Providing a fermenting service, specifically for foraged soft fruits, i.e. brambles (or blackberries, if you prefer).

I love bramble wine, but not the thought of collecting 10kilos of the stuff. So, if you let others gather the fruit, you ferment it, then furnish them with a bottle in a few months / weeks, job done. Crowd-sourced ingredients.

Of course, you ask for more fruit than is necessary so you get to keep a good few bottles of your own. Seems like people are copping onto food foraging etc so enough people might be up for it.

Basic/example numbers: one 25 litre bucket, 7.5 kg sugar, 10 kg brambles, 20 bottles returned to public, 13 bottles kept.
The user provides his empties, his sugar and his fruit. 1kg brambles gives him two bottles back. No money changes hands, just stuff.

Only cost to me is the yeast. Works out about 10p per bottle to me, about 50p per bottle to the customer.

Now, regardless of whether this is really worth my while or not, is this legal??

Back