Sugar Wine aka. kilju

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well its taste test time -
Very dry!
not as bad as it smelt
would recommend mixing something with it to try and get rid of the dryness.
As for what was left, well that went straight down the drain. Not something i would make again, not my cup of tea at all. :sick:

I've just decanted my kilju tester (well I needed the airlock) and tried a glass of the stuff.

What can I say? It's been 7 weeks and the hydro's stopped at 1.010
86 drop = 11.7% abv, slightly sweet, alcoholic water.

It doesn't taste bad at all :D
Come to think of it, it doesn't taste of anything at all :hmm:

For those who like vodka 1:3 with a neutral mixer, I would recommend it :thumb:
It costs next to nothing and the Chancellor can't touch you for it :D
You could certainly get wrecked on it :drunk:

Personally, I'll stick to something which tastes of something, thanks all the same :drink:

I had something similar to this in Norway a few weeks back but after fermentation they distilled it. It came in a 96% and dryer than a nuns c......... anyhow it was mixed with either a cup of coffee or a pink solution the Norwegians called sweppes. Ive never seen pink sweppes but they had it there. Anyway I opted to try the coffee option and was amazed when the guy (Stainard) filled the cup 2/3rds full of the stuff and topped it with a small coffee about 3/4 pint in total which we then both gulped down in three gulps each shouting 'SKOL' after every mouthfull. Thats where my story ends as I remember jack **** after that point in time and in fact the following twelve hours. apparently I had another three glasses but I cant back this up as I said earlier I remember jack ****.

It was either the strongest thing Ive ever drunk or it contained hidden microchips that enabled aliens to locate and abduct me, either way it was good stuff. I just need to get back in touch with Stainard (If that was really his name and he truely does exist and not some form of extra terrestrial pimp) and get the recipe and final instructions.

I'll post the recipe and final techniques used if you fancy an extra terrestrial experiance :party:

It seemed to do the job :thumb: I wouldn't mention anything about "The D Word" methods on this (or any) website as I believe it is against the law in the UK (without a license).

jamesb said:
Afraid not chaps.

Which means that discussion of it on here is also against the rules. :nono:
Well I would be very disappointed to get banned from here Mr moderator but freezing alcoholic beverages and removing the ice to make it stronger is not illegal as far as I am aware, but it is not well advised ;)

But it sure ain't "the D word", which is illegal.

I'm not convinced on how safe freezing alcohol is whether it's legal or not and the last thing we want is somebody getting sick from drinking something nasty like methanol which would be left in suspension by freezing and i would respectfully ask that we not speak of any kind of "The D word" on the forum. We're a beer, cider and wine forum and we'd like to keep it that way :thumb:

wurzel said:
jamesb said:
Afraid not chaps.
Which means that discussion of it on here is also against the rules. :nono:
Well I would be very disappointed to get banned from here Mr moderator but freezing alcoholic beverages and removing the ice to make it stronger is not illegal as far as I am aware, but it is not well advised ;)
But it sure ain't "the D word", which is illegal.

:roll:

Alcoholic Liquor Duties Act 1979

12 Licence to manufacture spirits

(1)No person shall manufacture spirits, whether by distillation of a fermented liquor or by any other process, unless he holds an excise licence for that purpose under this section (referred to in this Act as a “distiller’s licence”).

And if you want to argue on "spirits"

[ F1(2)“Spirits” means, subject to subsections (7) to (9) below—
(a)spirits of any description which are of a strength exceeding 1.2 per cent
(b)any such mixture, compound or preparation made with spirits as is of a strength exceeding 1.2 per cent or
(c)liquors contained, with any spirits, in any mixture which is of a strength exceeding 1.2 per cent.,
but does not include methylated spirits.]

OK i get that, but what is the difference then when i can buy an alcohol making kit and an essence bottle at my LHBS, to make vodka/whiskey/gin etc??? :wha:

You can ferment a sugar solution to around 20% with luck, adding flavouring to it does not make it, for example, 'gin'

OHHH OK.. I see. Not looked at them that closely, just seen them on the shlef and thought it might be something to do towards Xmas... Thanks :thumb:

It's just alcohol and water, so you can judge for yourself if it's worth trying :P

It's useful as a cheap substitute for vodka with mixers. I'll be making some myself when I have a spare demijohn. But if you want something to drink on its own you can at least make wine out of Ribena (or supermarket own brand) for a similarly low cost. £2 for a gallon of wine doesn't seem bad on any budget.

I live in France, where it is perfectly legal to use the services of a distillateur ambulante (a mobile distillery - if you haven't seen one, then you haven't lived!) to produce spirits if either you are old enough to have the "droit" or otherwise pay the tax. So can someone - be they a moderator or another - tell me if I talk about this, and the production of eau-de-vie, without my post being deleted and running the risk of being banned from this forum?

No harm in what you've just told us, I found it most interesting, but if you go on to talk about how it's done then I imagine posts will be deleted.

I will pass this up the chain, post nothing further until you've heard back from Admin.

pomme homme said:
I live in France, where it is perfectly legal to use the services of a distillateur ambulante (a mobile distillery - if you haven't seen one, then you haven't lived!) to produce spirits if either you are old enough to have the "droit" or otherwise pay the tax. So can someone - be they a moderator or another - tell me if I talk about this, and the production of eau-de-vie, without my post being deleted and running the risk of being banned from this forum?

As the forum is UK based we are not allowed to discuss "the D word" methods, so we would ask that you do not enter into conversations distillation on the forum.

Many thanks.

Back