Yeast from brewery - how much to use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geemcs

Reaction score
I've been lucky enough to be given this yeast from the local brewery:

yeast.jpg

I'm making a 5 gallon batch of pale ale this evening (partial grain - with 500g Crystal). My question is, how much of this yeast should I use?

The brewers said they use 12lb of the stuff for around 1660 litres, which would work out as 75g for 23 litres, but I'm not confident enough in my maths just risk a batch of ale!

The yeast is currently in the fridge. I'm guessing I have to mix it with some room temperature water and pitch it in?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Depending on the OG of the ale you want to pitch into really. But you need around 250ml of yeast into a 5 gal batch. Remove the amount from the fridge and cover up allow to warm to room temp slowly, then mix in some cooled wort and allow it to sit for 15-20 mins then mix into the batch.

If you have an I phone look up the Brew Math app it shows pitching rates for all types of yeasts slurry, vials, dry etc...

If not then MR Malty here http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html :thumb:

I've pitched 250ml of brewery yeast into 5 gallons - it was too much, very messy. The beer turned out perfect.

Latest posts

Back