what should I make? strawberry wine or strawberry cider?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skint_golfer

Reaction score
hey all!

bought 10lb of strawberries very cheaply yesterday, thus far I've de-stalked them, covered them with 4lb of sugar and given them a bit of a mash.

so what do you think I should do now? Cider or wine? I figure what I have now is good for about 3 gallon when made up with liquid.

I already have 4L of white grape juice I could add to go the wine route and tannin but I also have both sorts of yeast and aldi apple juice is but a stones throw away if I want to mix up a tc.....

opinions and further suggestions on recipe would be very welcom!

thanks, Rich

SWMBO and I would love to see someone make strawberry cider! I want to do it myself someday!

+2 for Strawberry Cider

:pray:

Right, patience I have so wine it is!!!!

so that leads me onto my next question.... has any one got a recipe please? bearing in mind I already used 10lb of strawberries and 3-4lb of sugar. Mashed it up as a dry extraction, should be ready to finish off on saturday...

cheers :-)

Done it twice, minor differences, both came out well.

2011-08-18 4lbs Costco frozen strawberries, chopped in blender; 2.5lbs sugar; 1 Campden, crushed. Steeped 2 days, stirring every half day
2011-08-20 Strained and sparged into demi with Mug Earl Grey, tsp citric, tsp nutrient, Lalvin Bourgovin RC212 yeast rehydrated and pitched
2011-10-09 Racked. Taste promising
2011-10-21 Bottled. Slight funky edge but not bad. Smell and some taste of strawberry.
Quickly aged to delicious wine

2012-02-23 4lbs Costco frozen strawberries, 2.5lbs sugar, 1 Campden (crushed) into bucket with 1.5litres just-boiled water. Hand blender when thawed. Steeped 1 day, stirring occasionally
2012-02-24 1tsp citric, 1tsp nutrient, 1/2pkt Gervin GV2
2012-02-26 Funneled to demi, Mug Earl Grey
2012-03-14 Racked with sulphite; still bubbling. Tastes good, still plenty of sugar left to ferment
2012-04-02 Racked - partly syphoned, partly poured through muslin-lined sieve. Only way to get rid of pulp. Sulphited, obv. Tastes pretty good. Still bubbling slowly
2012-05-11 Added finings
2012-05-15 Bottled with sorbate and Campden. Good flavour, slight sharpness that will soon age out

Actually the 2nd one had some pectolase at some point: it developed a jam-like substance. Next time I'll use the first method, but with pectolase, I think.

skint_golfer said:
Right, patience I have so wine it is!!!!

so that leads me onto my next question.... has any one got a recipe please? bearing in mind I already used 10lb of strawberries and 3-4lb of sugar. Mashed it up as a dry extraction, should be ready to finish off on saturday...

cheers :-)

I'm intreagued. What is this dry extraction method? I might be able to get a large quantity of fresh strawberries and would like to brew something with them. I have standard brewing equipment (30l plastic FVs and 5l glass demijons). Can I used dry extraction in these?

So I put the fruit and sugar in a FV give them a squish, wait a bit.... Then what? I presume I need to strain off the pulp somehow. What is the best way to do that?

If I'm making strawberry wine, how should I calculate the weight of fruit needed to make a given volume of juice? And how much juice, water and sugar do I need to make 5l of strawberry wine?

Sorry about all the questions?

Llamapup

oldbloke said:
Done it twice, minor differences, both came out well.

2011-08-18 4lbs Costco frozen strawberries, chopped in blender; 2.5lbs sugar; 1 Campden, crushed. Steeped 2 days, stirring every half day
2011-08-20 Strained and sparged into demi with Mug Earl Grey, tsp citric, tsp nutrient, Lalvin Bourgovin RC212 yeast rehydrated and pitched
2011-10-09 Racked. Taste promising
2011-10-21 Bottled. Slight funky edge but not bad. Smell and some taste of strawberry.
Quickly aged to delicious wine

2012-02-23 4lbs Costco frozen strawberries, 2.5lbs sugar, 1 Campden (crushed) into bucket with 1.5litres just-boiled water. Hand blender when thawed. Steeped 1 day, stirring occasionally
2012-02-24 1tsp citric, 1tsp nutrient, 1/2pkt Gervin GV2
2012-02-26 Funneled to demi, Mug Earl Grey
2012-03-14 Racked with sulphite; still bubbling. Tastes good, still plenty of sugar left to ferment
2012-04-02 Racked - partly syphoned, partly poured through muslin-lined sieve. Only way to get rid of pulp. Sulphited, obv. Tastes pretty good. Still bubbling slowly
2012-05-11 Added finings
2012-05-15 Bottled with sorbate and Campden. Good flavour, slight sharpness that will soon age out

Actually the 2nd one had some pectolase at some point: it developed a jam-like substance. Next time I'll use the first method, but with pectolase, I think.

Those are very interesting. Thanks for typing all that out. How much wine are those recipies yielding? Can I brew them in a 5l glass demijon?

Latest posts

Back