How to Cultivate yeast from a bottle of Westons Old Rosie

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
graysalchemy said:
Like with any yeast the slurry Can be stored for about a month in a sterilised. Jar in the fridge. Any longer and it us likely to get infected or show signs of autolysis. I'd you want to store any longer you need to look at freezing with glycerol or making microbial slants.

So if i re-use the yeast within a month after that batch is done I can re-use again and again? Brilliant!

Looking forward to my very own supply of old rose style cider! Its day 2 of my yeast culture so early steps yet. I'll giv it a few more days then upscale to a few litres in a demijohn.

Done this in the past, my notes say:

Just opened a bottle of OR which had the outside Starsan washed and Spirit flamed.

Poured out a Glass of OR leaving the crud and about a 1/2 " of OR

Popped a Stir bar into the OR bottle whacked it on my Stir plate Ali on the top with lakky band

1/2 tea of yeast nutrient

200ml Apple Juice

thats the 1st step ;)

I haven't managed to get this to work yet, but I've got a longer-term cider on the brew. It's had sediment from one bottle of OR since the beginning and I've got sediment from two more bottles to add when I rack it tonight. Let's hope this is the time!

Mine has been on the go for 10 days now, but no creamy sediment in the bottom; just a milky-white substance on the surface. Any ideas as to what this may be? Desirable or not so?

Hi all,
I followed the original "How to" to cultivate the OR yeast, thanks to graysalchemy :hat: :hat: .

Mine now working it way thru a 23L brew of a John Bull's cider kit which I started on the 1st of April and its still going like an express train. I did have a slight problem with my cap sealing about day 5/6 which was fixed by a good scrubbing and liberal application of more Vaseline.

All now good and am looking forward to the end of fermentation and the next stage of adding the Malocid.

I'll d a fuller "How I did it" when it gets closer to end of fermentation, I was put off saying anything earlier by the leak from the FV.

This might be a silly question but when you get to step 16 - will the cider from that be ok to drink ? I might be being thick but if it isn't I work it out to be 7l of apple juice being chucked... :wha:

You can but if you didn't add tannin and pectolase it probably won't taste as good. If you look after your yeast you only need to do this the once so IMHO not a particularly high price to get a rather unique cider yeast.

I usually use the cider for vinegar production or for cooking with, slow cooked pork in cider with sage, clove, cinnamon and cardamom Yum Yum.

graysalchemy said:
You can but if you didn't add tannin and pectolase it probably won't taste as good. If you look after your yeast you only need to do this the once so IMHO not a particularly high price to get a rather unique cider yeast.

I usually use the cider for vinegar production or for cooking with, slow cooked pork in cider with sage, clove, cinnamon and cardamom Yum Yum.

Thanks mate, that makes sense. I drink a lot of Henry Weston's cider so if I can get anywhere near that using the old rosie yeast it will totally be worth it.

:cheers:

You should get something akin to it if you leave it long enough. You may well have to play around with tanin amounts and back sweetening to get it how you like it. :thumb: :thumb:

Still nothing on mine - but I'm waiting. So... thirsty...

graysalchemy said:
You should get something akin to it if you leave it long enough. You may well have to play around with tanin amounts and back sweetening to get it how you like it. :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks again. :cheers:

graysalchemy said:
shearclass said:
Amk I right in thinking that about 4 litres (0.5 + 0.5 + 3) of apple juice are used/wasted in this process?

I have never used liquid yeast or tried to reclaim yeast from a bottle before. Is there a reason why the liquid has to be tipped down the drain, rather than just adding to it gradually?

You could drink it but it may not be the best of ciders. Because you are encouraging the yeast to grew and not produce alcohol they may undergo different metabolic pathways. I usually leave it to the fruit flies and make cider vinegar for my pickles :whistle: :whistle:

Would it be possible to do the same thing using a mixture of sugar-water with malic acid, marmite/tomato puree, yeast energiser, etc.? It would certainly be a LOT cheaper - even using cheapo juice it'll be almost £5 for AJ alone.

I would say not as you want the yeast to grow in a medium which they are ultimtely going to grew in.

It is a little bit of investment but the yeast if you look after it will last a life time, and to be honest a lot of us wouldn't bat an eye lid at spending £6-7 on a Whitelabs speciality yeast for brewing beer, so it isn't any different really to get a superior yeast.

Hi i was saying earlier on here that at the minute i have 23litres of TC on the go..being 17 litres apple juice, 3 ltr blueberry and 3 ltr cranberry it been in FV for around a week, i wanted to get some malic acid in there so do i just follow what you've posted previously ???

Me again....just a quick question.

I have got everything I need to get started, except for a milk bottle. Can i not just add the apple juice to the O.R. bottle?It will be sterile, wont it?

PuggledPrune said:
Me again....just a quick question.

I have got everything I need to get started, except for a milk bottle. Can i not just add the apple juice to the O.R. bottle?It will be sterile, wont it?

you could :thumb: :thumb:

Finally got round to starting this process. Fingers crossed. Thanks for all the advice G.A. Although my dad will probably be thanking you and I'll be cursing you because if it's as good as you say, I'll never get rid of him.

Woo hoo, we have movement. Took a couple of days but there is a fair bit foam bubbling away and a wee layer of sediment starting to form :D

What would be the best way of making just one DJ full of cider using old Rosie?

Could I just put some apple juice in the bottle with some yeast nutrient, wait for it to grow and then add it to 4 litres of apple juice in the DJ?

Excuse my ignorance and replace it with eagerness :party:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back