Is this a stuck ferment !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maccano Magic

Reaction score
How is this happening?

After racking a 12 day fermented cider with no signs of further fermentation I cold crashed it to try and get out what I thought to be a pectin haze, this is still possible as they're home pressed with some desserts in the mix.
It has a dark brown layer of clearish looking cider on top ( 1 inch ) with a more dark yellow hazy layer below that (1 inch), the rest of the demi is cloudy yellow with slight yeast sediment at the bottom.

It has been in the cold for 3 days on the concrete floor and hasn't really changed much, so before adding pectolase to clear it I've brought it inside to rack off again and within two minuets it's started bubbling again ( air lock still in place )!!!!
What the.. :shock:
Is this mad or what, surly the yeast can't wake up that quick! and besides there shouldn't be any sugar left ? or maybe there is just a bit as it stopped at 1004
Have I just suffered from stuck ferment? and if so With a gap at the top of the demi, should I just bung some AJ in and get on with a second ferment.
If this was a stuck ferment, hat's off to the yeasty beasties for running a newbie ragged... :hat:

Hi Eddie

Yes the reading at start was 1055 and it stopped at around 1004 with no sign of bubbles for around 2 days before I took it to crash.
Like I say it started bubbling again and since ( about 2 hours ) it has slowed to a bubble every 5 minuets ( 4 gallon demi ).

if it ferments any more id be very suprised tbh its already done a good job dropping that much i dont think it was stuck it may just be some c02 in the brew i wouldnt worry about it

Back