Chest Freezer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neddy

Reaction score
Im looking round for a chest freezer to fit 4 cornies in but i dont want it too big as its in a shed.
Ive looked at the icetech 166 which is a nice size and only £159 new but the depth inside is only 20" but cornies with connector on is 28" so need something deeper. Any suggestions??
What sites do people use for second hand stuff also? Ive tried gumtree but nothing really at mo.
Thanks

I didnt know that. Ive been looking on youtube where they are converting freezer to kegerator and putting piece of wood round lid and putting taps in and placing lid on top so was gonna do that and have a fridge to ferment the brew as doin it in my bedroom and mrs not very impressed lol

It's horses for courses really n, there are certain cons to using a freezer though loads of folks do.
Freezers aren't designed to drain away condensation hence they can rot around the base, fridges usually have a drain on the chilling wall. You can get round it by sticking a towel in the bottom of the freezer. Compressors on freezers don't like to be switched too often whereas fridges are designed for it. I found it easier to find fridges, everyone seems to want small freezers :roll: and you should be able to get a fridge for free on freecycle. Well worth having a look around the forum for kegerator designs there's a list somewhere....I'll try and find it.
The benefit to the collar method is that you aren't damaging the freezer so push comes to shove you could still use it as a freezer or flog it if you decide not to use it as a kegerator anymore.
Personally, I paid for a new one and butchered it :P ...the benefit being I just walked into Comet and measured one that would fit 4 cornies :roll: ...but that's me :lol:

Thanks for the info. I went to comet yesterday measuring up and the bigger ones wud fit 4 cornies easy but over 300 quid and also too wide as shed door 650 so can't get it in. The next model up of icetech is deeper but then one side steps up to 20" deep and the deeper part isn't enough room to sit the 4 cornies in. Cud the panel inside be modified

Been down currys today and got me a zanussi chest freezer to fit 4 cornies :D so need to get building a panel for taps to go in

U got a bargain mate. Ive been looking but got no where. It looks a big fridge/freezer

Latest posts

Back