My first hooch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope yours came out well. I have just looked at my 25l and its still bubbling away (as i said before it was going slow due to the cold but its still going).

If you want this to taste like the commercial hooch i would recommend back sweeting slightly and watering down to get the 4% and it is very close but i only tested this with 1 litre whilst a bit drunk on commercial hooch.

i have just checked the gravity and moved ready for bottling tomorrow, is yours still a very strong lemon taste and quite sour after some time in the bottle or can i expect it to stay like this? doesnt taste too bad but not something i could drink a lot of. should be around 6%.

Mine wasnt too sour part of this could be when i bottled some of thr sugar from primming may have been there

Is it as easy to just mutiply by 5 or is there's anything with the yeast I need to change

no idea, i'd assume one teaspoon. what do your instructions say is the recommended dose for a 23L batch? A sacet is usually around 5g to 11g??

One level teaspoonful for a 1 gallon brew.

One level tablespoonful for a 5 gallon brew.

Well i put a gal on last night of this. woke up this morning and nothing happening in the airlock... doesnt even seem to be any pressure in the air lock at all. put it in a water bath as it was a little cold... started again but for only like 30 mins but for the past 2.5 hours no activity at all in the air lock. Should i lob another teaspoon of yeast in to get it going again?

etuqupyr.jpg

I finally got round to bottling mine last night here is 6 litres of it :)

Cheers for the response McScruff. Well i left it for 72 hours and not a bubble. Gave it a few shakes. Tried the warm bath again.... nowt. So i bunged another teaspoon of yeast in and its bubbling away like a trooper. Had a few whiffs of the airlock and it smells nice.

i've got all the ingredients, just need to get some yeast and some free DJs (mine have got TC in at the moment) to get it started :roll:

Bottled mine up yesterday, tasted fairly sour, but we'll see when it comes to drinking it. Mine was up to 9% (I added more sugar than suggested)

I just went to asda to pickup more lemon juice... its up to 60p a bottle now 200% more than when i 1st did this recipe.

Mine too tasted a bit sour when i sampled the test bit but after a few weeks it is good. (Well i thought so)
I hope you find it nice. If not maybe share how you would change it

i made 5 gallon of this and tried it a few days ago after 2 and half weeks in the bottle and was undrinkable. far too sour and after 1 mouthful i couldnt have any more. going to leave it out the way and see if it improves.

Looks like the ferment is slowing right down now. Took a look at the brew this morning and there looks to be se mould on the top
4e7u7e6a.jpg

Does this look normal? Im presuming its the lemons breaking down.

I dont recall any mould on mine, i did have bits of lemon breaking off tho.

Keep an eye on it but it may be a bad batch :(

Back