AG - Pale Mild

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
A fantastically complicated pale mild I'm brewing today and tomorrow (mash & sparge tonight, boil tomorrow).

The complex grain bill comprises of

3kg Mild ale malt

And the complicated hop schedule consists of the following list of additions

50g Williamette as FWH.

Going to pour in onto a T58 yeast cake from my Green Bullet SMaSH.

Wish me luck!

dont forget to label all your additions and times etc, don't want to get confused..... :D

I know its fiendishly complex..... quiet at the back there, some of us are trying to concentrate! :lol:

Well, sparge is done and its all in the boiler waiting for me to flick the switches tomorrow morning.

joey1002 said:
Did you manage to get all your hops in at the right time :lol:

I cant remember, I was so busy trying to keep up with it all!

Seriously though, there's 3 things I'm trying to achieve here

1. Assess Mild Ale Malt.
2. Assess how well FWH works with no other hop additions contributing to the flavour/aroma profile.
3. Assess Williamette hops - have used them before but never on their own.

OK so this one was alright but.......

The colour was very pale. It seems to me to be paler than normal pale malt. There was a definite background of sweetness but without the body you might get from crystal. Yet, the mouthfeel was smooth.

The Williamette hops were very understated. Just a hint of bitterness with oh such a very slight hint of hop flavour and aroma. I dont really think first wort hopping did much at all.

It was certainly recognisable as a mild, but if I were to make another pale mild, I would use some crystal (perhaps 5%) to add some more body and perhaps go with a small 30min hop addition.

I'm into o/night mashes these days to shorten my actual brew day.
However I've been giving thought to an afternoon mash and then a Sparge and doing the boil the next day as you did here
Was their any detriment to leaving the wort sat in the boiler o/night and did you chill it or leave it to cool ?

piddledribble said:
I'm into o/night mashes these days to shorten my actual brew day.
However I've been giving thought to an afternoon mash and then a Sparge and doing the boil the next day as you did here
Was their any detriment to leaving the wort sat in the boiler o/night and did you chill it or leave it to cool ?

None that I can detect :thumb:

Oh with one reservation - I noted that my elements looked a bit manky after leaving beer on them overnight. If I were you I would leave the wort in the sparge bucket(s) overnight rather than leaving it on the elements.

Split brew days are the way to go IMO. I find doing it all in one day can leave me feeling a bit zonked and in no mood for the clean up afterwards.

Cheers if I do my batch sparge and mash the night before I'll leave the wort in the covered buckets.
A split brew day certainly suits me, as you say your more relaxed and in a fitter frame of mind for the all important clean up.

Back