Stuck ferment!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbowden

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi All,
i've got a muntons gold stout on the go and the frementation was going fine. I thought it had stopped so took a hydrometer reading and it read 1020. mmmm i thought, better add some more yeast as i had trawled the forum and this seemed to be a remedy. So, pitched the new yeast and got a little bit of activity on the top so thought it would be ok. The next day flat as a pancake again and took another reading 1020 again at 26c.
What can i do next? is the temp to high (heating belt) although i've never had a problem before :?:

tim

timbowden said:
The next day flat as a pancake again and took another reading 1020 again at 26c.
What can i do next? is the temp to high (heating belt) although i've never had a problem before :?: tim

26c does seam a bit high, usually fementation temperature i between 18 - 20c. I would lower the temerature and give it a good stir and hopfully that should restart it.

Have you made this kit before Tim ?
At 1.020 for kit stout it may very well be finished, my advice is to taste some and if it doesn't taste overly sweet, I'd leave it another couple of days just to be sure and then bottle or barrel it :thumb:

Hi TS,
no this is the first time and the kit specifies a 1014 gravity at the end of fermentation. With the calculation of gravity and temp i should still have a gravity of 1022 which is still high! I have tasted it and it seems ok and not too sweet.
I'll try lowering the temp, give it another stir and see what happens
If no joy is it still ok to go ahead and keg or do i abort :( ?

tim

Leave it a couple more days and keg it :thumb:
It'll be fine :drink:
The kit instructions are a guide and not definitive ;)
Your beer kit once you added yeast to it became a living temperamental thing, I think of my beer like my children :shock:
Some days they don't do exactly what you want them to and it's frustrating and some days they do amazing things that make you think WOW, but no matter what I still love them :party:

kegged the beer and had a taste...terrible!!
Sour taste, so must have got a bacterial infection as i was waiting for it to re-ferment :cry:
oh well on to the next one!!!

tim

i'll re do another Muntons imperial stout - no beer gets the better of me!!
I'm on the cusp of AG so an Adnams clone is on the cards :cheers:

tim

Latest posts

Back