Easy Bottle Labels!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gl0ckage

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi there guys & girls. After reading another members post about labels and not owning a laser printer so the milk would make the ink run i decided to get myself some self stick labels.

So here is what you'll need:
6 Labels per page. Clicky
Download the word template from Here
Microsoft Word / Open Office
Photoshop or Image editing software.

Create your image, I made the word froots in the shape of a strawberry. I made mine in the dimensions 500x500 pixels. Once your image is done, add it to the Word template, copy and paste it 6 times into the boxes. Drag the little boxes to make the picture fit into the templates.

After doing this, place your labels inside your printer like normal paper. Click print, and you have some nice sticky labels!

Only downside is when wet the fall to bits and you need to scrub your bottles to remove the glue.

Hope this helps people with inkjets, took me 5 mins to get these printed and stuck on. I took more time making the font :p

If anyone wants a more in-depth guide give me a shout and ill try get more screenshots up with step-by-step.

You could do a How to for that part of the forum. How hard are they to get off? Unless they fall off in the sink I wouldn't be too keen.

Also had the same idea to play with at the weekend, hopefully my labels will be arriving sometime soon- im gonna use the avery method, v easy just find out the avery code for ur sheets, enter it in and design urself a label, no account needed just save to computer everytime, heres a link:

www.avery.co.uk/avery/en_gb/Products/La ... 18140aRCRD

im too cheap for the 6 labels gonna see if i can cram 24 of em on

They fall off in water but leave glue residue just needs a scrub with a metal scourer easy to remove.

I used a few sites and the templates were slightly not aligned the avery ones match the cheap labels on ebay without the need for the product code or premium brand labels.
Think I'm going to buy some smaller lengthy ones for the necks.

If you buy proper Avery labels rather than the cheap copies off eBay, they come off easy after a quick soak, and leave no glue residue. I thought I'd save some money and switched to the cheaper labels, but after ages scrubbing bottles and using Sticky Stuff remover I've gone back to Avery brand labels.

Does pearl glue work ....... paper to glass?

It was at one time THE glue for everything. Even the 'lick' envelopes are drying out :?

There is a thread on here where somebody suggested using milk painted onto plain printer paper for labels. Haven't tried it myself but it seemed to be fairly successful according to subsequent submissions.

LeithR said:
There is a thread on here where somebody suggested using milk painted onto plain printer paper for labels.

Yes it does work - just used this method for a small batch of home-made wine labels. However, that was only 6 bottles, wouldn't fancy having to cut out 40 odd labels each time I brew a batch of beer- think I'll stick to the sticky lables for beer bottles.

crE said:
I tend to just write on the bottle cap with a CD marker... no cleaning necessary afterwards!

Simple and effective ............. yet clever :geek:

Pjam said:
crE said:
I tend to just write on the bottle cap with a CD marker... no cleaning necessary afterwards!

There's just enough room for a "bottled on" date and the name of the brew.... not that it'll last long enough for me to forget whats in the bottle :whistle:

crE said:

This is exactly what I intend to do. I'm just starting out so I'll probably not even bother writing any more than the brew number on the cap. Labels do look nice but I'm keen to make my brewing processes as efficient as possible (ie. not spending time on anything that isn't either necessary or designed to improve the contents of the bottle).

Perhaps I'll start to feel differently further down the line when I'm making more personal brews as opposed to kits and such.

I tried milk and it works but I found a lot of labels came off when damp. I've found Pritt stick type glue to be the best stays stuck and comes of easily when needed, ASDA do a version cheap as chips, also a quick coat of hairspray front and back label stops them disintegrating when damp.

For those that do want labels I just did a little test with the Pearl Glue, this is the same stuff that used to be on the licky bit of yer envelope....... and it works really well :)

Also, it comes off easily in warm water.

Pjam said:
crE said:

Different coloured bottle tops here.

Gold= Bitter
Black = Stout
Yellow = Pale
Red = Cider
Brown= Porter

Simples.

Latest posts

Back