How are everyone's vines?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evanvine said:
calumscott said:
I've got a good crop of leaves so far though...
That is not good news, are your vines 1st year?
Are they producing "tendrils"?

I don't know how old it is, I inherited it with the house. It's outside not under glass. No tendrils this year yet either.

I've just planted a red and a white both of which I bought from OBI (German B&Q).

Apparently they have been selected as they are very suitable for the German environment.

They are both sprouting nicely, naturally they have been helped by the pleasant weather (mid 20's).

I now somewhat regret the time, effort and expenditure salvaging 26 mature vines from a vineyard which was forced to close down. Only 6 of them are showing signs of life, 2 have developed great cracks down the trunk and the rest are doing nothing, despite the greatest care in transplanting them.

evanvine said:
Hard lines TH, I once read that no matter how old the vine, once it's transplanted it behaves like a 1st year cutting.
Needs plenty of water and TLC.

Lack of moisture in the soil was not the problem. The earth was wet and has stayed that way. The vines were the very last to go, and probably not the best!

Not sure what to say.
3 years ago we had that very cold winter, I lost a lot of plants.
I don't know why, but I kept a Bay tree in the green house, it seemed a forlorn hope.
Last year it started sprouting, this year it is doing well.
I just mention this to show there is sometimes hope!

I have a 'cutting' from a branch which rooted itself in the ground, like brambles do. Despite proper care, it remained inert for almost a year but is now doing really well, so time will tell. With hindsight, I should have inspected the buds on these mature vines, of which there were few, very small, dry and lifeless. The vines were probably already dead.

I now have flower buds!

I don't seem to have a hell of a lot of leaves but glancing round them today I found two flower buds. I guess it'll sprout more but at least that's something to start with. :) :thumb:

Well it looked like a lot of buds you see - one every joint or knobble on the vine ... and they opened and there were lots of little leaves...

...and they're still little!!! Nothing bigger than maybe 3" across and most less than 2"... looks a bit odd by comparison to when we moved in last year with this mass of hand sized leaves.

Do they keep sprouting them and growing big ones later in the season by any chance?

Piccie!

edyhabe6.jpg

...yes, that's a bucket of beer cooling under it! :lol:

You want to have seen it before I hacked it back!!!

It must have had 150-200 bunches on it last year, of course none came to anything (well, *one* bunch nearly did), the idea was to hack it right back to wood in the hope that it would sprout a sensible number that I could keep in check...

So I'm finding a good few more flower buds today which is encouraging. How many would you say a big vine like that could support? Enough for a gallon if I can coax them to ripeness?

Back