DIY Stir Plate

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevela

Regular.
Reaction score
So the other half has gone on holiday for 10 days which must mean it's time to start some of these projects I've been meaning to get around to.

I attempted to make a stir plate a few weeks ago out of an old humidor, sadly however it wasn't the greatest creation the world has ever seen. I had to stack 8 magnets on top of each other to get any movement out of the stir bar.

Whilst clearing the cellar I came across something that caught my eye...

An old external hard drive, power supply was good but there was no power getting to the drive, sounds like it's time to turn this into something new. A quick check to make sure it wasn't magnetic and the tear down begins.

Everything slides apart nice and easily and there appears to be just enough room to slide a case fan in without the magnets touching. First thing to do is quickly sanity check that my flask will sit on top of it safely:

After that the case is gutted, I'm not too worried about using the existing board connections as somethings not right in there, the dark brown stain at the bottom of the case is suggesting to me something has burnt out. It would have been nice to keep the dual colour LED working but as it died when I was applying voltage to it to figure out what cable did what that wasn't an option!

It turns out that the hole where the DC power was is a good fit for my salvaged fan controller and the USB socket fits a 12mm cable gland which is a bonus:

Everything was then wired in keeping the on/off switch. The bolts were slightly too long and were stopping the inner section sliding back so needed cutting down on the back of the case after the fan was fitted

Everything closed up and a quick test with a pint of water to ensure the magnets are not touching the top of the case (it's close)

Finally a real test with the flask and a few 100's and 1000's sprinkled in to see what the movement was like. These dissolved pretty quickly which is why it's so murky:

Next up will be wiring up the STC-1000 finally!

Vossy1 said:
Very tidy S :clap: :cool:

Thanks Vossy, compared to the last hideous mess this is work of art :)

Buster said:
Very nice job, could I ask where you got the magnet from??

If you mean the magnets on the fan these were off ebay (and I now have 48 spare of the things):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360618971044? ... 1439.l2649

The stir bar was also an ebay purchase:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160994840036? ... 1439.l2649

I'm having issues with the bar being thrown if I turn it up to high, I'm thinking of getting some of the oval ones without the ridge to see if these are any better:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7pcs-magnetic ... 3a785ebbbb

Thanks for the reply, its appreciated, I,m thinking of building a Stir Plate myself for yeast splitting and recovery. If you decide to dispense with a few of the Magnets, I am more than willing to purchase a few off of you, dont really want 50 :D . All the best Buster

evanvine said:
stevela said:
I'm having issues with the bar being thrown if I turn it up to high, I'm thinking of getting some of the oval ones without the ridge to see if these are any better:
Why do you not use a magnet out of the hard drive? :wha:

The hard drive is still good, looks like it was just a board failure on the external unit, it's happily chugging away in a USB dock.

Buster said:
Thanks for the reply, its appreciated, I,m thinking of building a Stir Plate myself for yeast splitting and recovery. If you decide to dispense with a few of the Magnets, I am more than willing to purchase a few off of you, dont really want 50 :D . All the best Buster

Buster PM me your address and I'll pop some in the post for you next time I'm passing a post box.

Compare to your work of art Stevela, mine is crude and heath-robinson, but it is very effective!

P1020513_zps969c059f.jpg

P1020514_zps7089f139.jpg
[/URL]

I like it, very raw :) looks like it has a decent amount of pull using the hard drive magnet.

I might see if I can fit one in this case at some point, i've got a box of dead hard drives lying around in the office.

love it must of miss that when i was there love it
are these magnets the same as people take out of a micro wave motor ?????? ment to be well strong magnets :D

evanvine said:
Compare to your work of art Stevela, mine is crude and heath-robinson, but it is very effective!

P1020513_zps969c059f.jpg

P1020514_zps7089f139.jpg
[/URL]

The stir bar was also an ebay purchase:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160994840036? ... 1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7pcs-magnetic ... 3a785ebbbb

I was also having the same issue when the rpm/voltage was turned up and was using the same stirbar, even tried removing the center ring but it made no difference.

In the end i went for the triangle/prism shape and problem is solved.
Have a look at these.

I've got a few PC fans sitting around after stripping them out of my old pc after it died in a power surge... if I can find a suitable case I can see one of these being made soon :mrgreen:

mixale said:
I was also having the same issue when the rpm/voltage was turned up and was using the same stirbar, even tried removing the center ring but it made no difference.

Have a look at these.

Thanks for the suggestion mixale, I've ordered one of those so I'll see how it gets on. I figure having a second one is no bad thing either as I'm sure the first one will get lost/set on fire/eaten by a cat.

mixale said:

Have a look at these.

The prism stirrer arrived today and unfortunately this seems worse, I'm not sure if the magnet is stronger in the stir bar but it seems to slow the fan down and barely turn, once I increase the RPM slightly it's thrown off. Guess I'll stick with the original one for now.

evanvine said:
stevela said:
I'm sure the first one will get lost/set on fire/eaten by a cat.
Certain people I know tend to pour them down the sink! :roll:

Yeah, first thing I did was pour it straight into the sink, saved by the waste trap!!

Latest posts

Back