Real Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankboi

Reaction score
Hi all!

After a bit of a long break from brewing beers and having a few successes with wines I decides it was time to get back on the horse and give beer another go (also to see if I was just being an idiot last time).
So I went down to wilko and got myself Tom Caxtons Real Ale, bit simpler than the last one I did mainly due to the instructions were laid out a little easier to follow.
Just got a few questions though:
I got the malt extract that says its a replacement to sugar (sorry if this seems like I'm simple but still new to it all) but getting home realise it comes in 500g and the recipe calls for 1kg so did half and half with brewers sugar. Will this effect anything? I got an SG of 1040 which is bang on according to instructions.
Also has anyone else had a go at the ale? How did it turn out for you? Any improvements you would make that it might be worth me trying?

Cheers all.

When making kits I always tried to avoid adding sugar as it only ups ABV.
One thing you could have done with 500g of DME is not added as much water so you'd end up with 20-21l (assuming a 23l kit) or around there to get your desired OG.

andybrew said:
Did the kit as for malt extract to be added or just sugar

It asked for plain white sugar but I saw this on the shelf with the line 'in place of the sugar pound for pound' or somethih along those lines.

yeah you can make it with sugar malt extract or brew enhancer (which is 50% sugar 50% maltextract). sugar will increase the alcohol while malt extract will increase body and alcohol

in order of of preference malt extract, brew enhancer, sugar.

sounds to me like your on to a winner

Yep - basically what you have done is make your own "Beer Kit Enhancer", which is generally 50% Malt, 50% sugar.

You should get a nice pint out of that - make sure you give it 2 weeks in the fermenter though, regardless of what the instructions say. It'll give you a cleaner tasting pint.

I am drinking Tom Caxton Real Ale at the moment,I have found out that the taste improves over time in the bottle. But it still lacks the taste of others on the market.

Alan :cheers:

Thanks for the heads Ups guys..

The hydro reading came out at 1040 at start but will check it in a weeks time.
Last time I did an ale I followed the instructions to the letter racking after 6 days and such not making that mistake again.

Would this mix well with other things? Say honey? Or some such?

Back