Strawberry Ribena Turbo Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sone

Regular.
Reaction score
Just made this up because ribena cartons are on offer for £1 each at morrisons:

3.5L Apple Juice
1L Strawberry Ribena
1tsp Yeast Nutrient
1tsp Pectolase
½ tsp Tannin
75g Granulated Sugar (mainly to mix with the tannin to stop it clumping)
Cider Yeast

Not sure how it will turn out, just decided to have a go as seen a few youtube videos doing something similar :cheers:

Any tips? :thumb:

Should be nice, you don't really need any tips: you put tannin in, you didn't get silly with extra sugar, you used pectolase (not needed with all AJs but never hurts)
Let it run until it clears by itself, then either bottle or rack for bulk maturing. When bottling I like 1tsp sugar per pint-or-half-litre - quite fizzy but not madly so.

Great stuff thanks! Was supposed to be 1tsp tannin then realised I only added 1/2tsp after but thought I'd leave it as is.

Strawberry Ribena TC is a family favourite, as soon as I have a spare fermenter, 5 gallon will be going on.

Ideal for a hot day with the BBQ out.

Edit:- Can't wait, i'm going out to get a tub from Wilkos :D

:D

Glad to hear it's a nice drink! Is your recipe much different?

The recipie is pretty much the same, except i don't add pectolase and use any yeast that's available, usually Lavlin K1V-1116

Glad to see other people are doing the Strawberry Wyder (Wine/Cyder as it is usually wine strength)
I've just put another batch of this on (it'll be my third this year)
I sometimes carbonate but have had explosive results in the past (youtube shows my shame on this), but have also had it still and this is very nice too.
This time around I'm going to water down some by a third and do a side by side tasting as my last batch was somewhere around 13% and was too strong for large consumption.

Are you guys using the ready to drink style of Ribena or cordial that's been boiled? I guess it's the latter as the former would be too weak and not shine through?

I'll be trying a bottle of this over the weekend, even though it's only been about 3 weeks it'll be interesting to know how it changes over time.

Look forward to your comparisons Unclejona, I may make a still version as well as I quite like still cider too. Enjoy watching your videos, keep up the good work mate :thumb:

Stanglish, I used the ready to drink carton as 1L was on offer so I thought I'd give it a try. No idea how it will turn out but hopefully it won't be too bad, bit too early to judge properly but I'll keep this thread updated :thumb:

I used 3 litres of Ribena Strawberry Concentrate in my 23 litre brew, I brought the Ribena to the boil and simmered for 20 minutes to get the preservatives out.

I think 2 litres would have been enough as the strawberry flavour is a little too much for me, but my family really like it that way. My bottles carbonated well and are in the fridge being chilled.

I'd like to try this but not boil the cordial , ferment the AJ for 7/10 days then add the cordial , I think most of it would ferment out leaving me with a medium dry TC ,anyone have any opinions please?

Just put mine on today, couldn't find pre mixed so I put 0.6L in a DJ and followed like you said but boiled first for 20mins. A bit powerful at 7.8% tho. Might top up when the fermentation has finished.

Also saw vimto on offer so I thought why the hell not. Same process should be about 6% if it works.

John

Good stuff, let us know how you get on :thumb: I believe mine works out about 6% after adding up all the sugars, I could be wrong though!

I enjoyed this when I tried it, obviously dry, with hint of strawberry at first but not too overpowering. Glad I bought a couple more cartons when on offer :D

I'm making some of this tomorrow with 1l of strawberry Ribena and 2l of Blackcurrant Ribena.

I have 10l of lidl clear apple juice and 10l cloudy. Gonna use lalvin yeast. Should keep the wife happy.

Ian

Ok, made it. When I did my last turbo cider recipe there was the juice of a fresh lemon in it. I bought Lidle own version of jiff and boiled it up with the Ribena. Used Lalvin Champagne Yeast.

Ian

Pearlfisher said:
I'd like to try this but not boil the cordial , ferment the AJ for 7/10 days then add the cordial , I think most of it would ferment out leaving me with a medium dry TC ,anyone have any opinions please?

I think if you don't boil off the preservatives in the cordial, it'll kill the fermentation. So it'll be sweet.

oldbloke said:
Pearlfisher said:

I think if you don't boil off the preservatives in the cordial, it'll kill the fermentation. So it'll be sweet.

From a Ribena wine recipe -

"Similarly, when making wines from fresh fruits that give a red wine, one or two bottles or
Ribena could well be added to make up for other fruits in this way, you may disregard the
SO2 preservative (more about this later) because the amount in the Ribena will not be
enough to stop fermentation, but it would be best to add it at the vigorous fermentation
stage-during the first ten days."

He also goes on to say if the cordial is heated to 70c it should drive off the preservative.

I got a batch of this in the dj! Does it always turn pretty murky 4 days in?

Latest posts

Back