Krausen gone too soon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuffolkBrewery

Reaction score
Eek! The krausen on my first-ever brew has sunk after just three days. There's still light bubbling activity so it's clearly still doing something.
Is this normal for e rausen to go too soon ora sign of issues? It's meant to be a golden bitter. :shock:

yeah its fine mate, your wanting the krausen to drop out the beer anyway for it to clear so the sooner the better. if its still bubbling then just let it do its thing, give it 10-14 days in the fermenter to let the yeaties clear up after themselves. what brew do you have on?

Oh thanks, was getting seriously worried! I'm trying the Jennings Cocker Hoop (with a couple of extra grams of hops), 25 litres

Fingers remain crossed

Don't worry It will do, some yeast last longer than others. Have you checked the gravity?

My only concern is that with recent temps it may have fermented fast. Try keeping your temps below 21c, you can experience off flavours (solventy) when you brew at temps above 21c but it is more critical in the first 24-48 hrs.

:thumb: :thumb:

Gravity around 1018 so a while to go. Deffo a little worried about the temp; got nowhere cool. But ths is first attempt so steep earning curve

Don't worry about it nowt you can do now. :lol:

In any case it will be the best beer in the world..................

because you brewed it :thumb: :thumb:

Do the nasty solventy flavours fade with time if you keep the beer in bottles once it has fermented too warm? I have a whole batch like that and it tastes great except for the lingering taste of nail polish remover.

Pittsy is right it is fusel alcohols whose precursors are made during the initial phases of fermentation if the yeast is fermented above 21c. The threshold at which a human can detect it is quite low so it doesn't take much of a temp rise to result in fusel alcohols being detected.

As I said it is when the yeast cells are multiplying that they switch metabolism to first ester precursor production and as the temp goes higher fusel precursor production.

Temp also determines how fruity an ale is. If you ferment closer to 21 more esters are produced which form the fruity flavours.

So temperature is very important to brewing and the reason why we use chillers and fridges in combination with heaters to keep the beer at ideal temps. Also don't forget fermentation is exothermic as well and produces heat.

Unless you have a system to control temp don't brew in a heat wave.

:thumb:

I now have a system, so it won't be happening again (if a T-shirt over the FV and standing it in a pot of water counts as "a system" - it keeps it at 20 and that's good enough).
I guess I'll chalk that one up to experience and feed it to less discerning friends (of whom there are many, fear not). I will avoid anyone drinking more than one at a time though, I hear the hangover can be nasty.

A wet towel or T-shirt works wonders, also a concrete floor makes a good heat sink as well. :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
Unless you have a system to control temp don't brew in a heat wave.

:thumb:

Unless you are brewing a Saison with yeast designed to work at higher temps, just switch beer styles :D

Latest posts

Back