Setting up my gas supply to Cornelius kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECLIPSE

Regular.
Reaction score
Right. So I've just received my regulator for my new corny setup. This is the one I have bought...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120943458248

However I'm now stuck as to what and where to buy the bits I need to get it hooked up to my 2 kegs.

Does anyone have any links and info for where I can find the required parts? As I've no idea where to go from here.

On a side note, I noticed the side of the regulator that connects to the co2 tank doesn't have a straight open hole, instead it has some sore of rough metal going across the end of the pipe. Is this normal? Here is a pic of what I mean.

tu6abyza.jpg

And here's the regulator itself
de7e4e7e.jpg

I have the same regulator , all looks fine to me . So what bottle are you using for gas ? That regulator is ready to use for a standard c02 bottle refill type . You have a female thread and the bottles are male thread , show use your bottle . you may just need a male to female coupler , look for mig welding sites (don't get argon mixed c02 gas though) .

I dont like the look of that regulator attaching face? whats going on there? is any of that crud loose?? afaik if it gets blown into the reg it could kill it??

my experience with regs is limited to the ones i use and i dont recall any crud like that in any of the connections...

the output from my welders reg is a 1/4" hosetail which fits into the id of 3/8" OD beer/gas line. its held on with a jubilee clip, with the 3/8" standard line fixed the JG 3/8" pushfit fittings are used to split the line and feed the kegs on that supply

The metal stuff on the attaching face isn't loose. I wondered if it was some sort of filter or something? Bit I definitely cannot see through it. This is what got me wondering. Do you think this is a defective regulator then?

ECLIPSE said:
The gas cylinder I'm thinking of getting is a 3.15kg home bar type from adamsgas. Link here...

http://www.adamsgas.co.uk/index.php/bee ... 131-detail

Will this fit my regulator?

What connectors/fittings do I need to connect the gas from regulator out to the Cornelius gas in disconnect?
Your regulator is fine (the filter is to protect the reg all is well ) and will screw directly onto that link of the cylinder . you need a bit of pipe , Cornelius Grey Quick Disconnect - CO2 IN , a jubilee clip done , then maybe this http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/cornelius ... -taps.html

pittsy said:
ECLIPSE said:
The gas cylinder I'm thinking of getting is a 3.15kg home bar type from adamsgas. Link here...

http://www.adamsgas.co.uk/index.php/bee ... 131-detail

Will this fit my regulator?

What connectors/fittings do I need to connect the gas from regulator out to the Cornelius gas in disconnect?
Your regulator is fine (the filter is to protect the reg all is well ) and will screw directly onto that link of the cylinder . you need a bit of pipe , Cornelius Grey Quick Disconnect - CO2 IN , a jubilee clip done , then maybe this http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/cornelius ... -taps.html

Thanks for the advice. Managed to attach to my john guest splitter now
upa7ygah.jpg

Does this look OK? I hope the braided has line is secure enough in the speed fitting!

Just waiting on my co2 to be delivered now and I shall be sorted:mrgreen:

Hi Eclipse
What I can see from the pic is a reg that fits a standard pub CO2 cylinder - no prob there. The exit side has a length of pipe terminating in a push-fit, which will accept stiff plastic tubing, the other end of which connects to your Corny 'IN' post - as Pittsy says, you need a QD to go on the post, with either a corresponding push-fit, or a hosetail that accepts the internal width of your stiff plastic tubing.
So the key question I would ask is 'what is the size of the reg's push-fit'? Can't see any info on the Ebay description. The push-fit size will determine the size of tube you need, and whether you need any adaptors to fit your Corny QD. Alternatively, can the reg's tubing be removed, so a different size adaptor can be fitted to it direct? A welding reg's gas-out usually has a 3/8 bsp thread.
Hope that helps.
Cheers, Chris

Edit: Crossed post - I see you've replaced the original push-fit, so I expect you've resolved your issue. Happy brewing!

airymary said:
Hi Eclipse
What I can see from the pic is a reg that fits a standard pub CO2 cylinder - no prob there. The exit side has a length of pipe terminating in a push-fit, which will accept stiff plastic tubing, the other end of which connects to your Corny 'IN' post - as Pittsy says, you need a QD to go on the post, with either a corresponding push-fit, or a hosetail that accepts the internal width of your stiff plastic tubing.
So the key question I would ask is 'what is the size of the reg's push-fit'? Can't see any info on the Ebay description. The push-fit size will determine the size of tube you need, and whether you need any adaptors to fit your Corny QD. Alternatively, can the reg's tubing be removed, so a different size adaptor can be fitted to it direct? A welding reg's gas-out usually has a 3/8 bsp thread.
Hope that helps.
Cheers, Chris

Edit: Crossed post - I see you've replaced the original push-fit, so I expect you've resolved your issue. Happy brewing!

Hi Chris, the regulators length of pipe seems to be the same width as my grey plastic gas line, It didnt come with the JG push fit splitter ( I attached this to the end this evening) However im not sure if this is a secure fit as you say.

Is there a 3/8 hosetail fitting with a 2 way splitter I could use instead? Then I could attach my grey beer lines directly from there.

what do you think?

Hi Eclipse
I find you need to be exact about the size of fittings, tubing, etc to be on the right side. I expect that the tubing supplied with the welding reg is metric. If you know your splitter is 3/8, that suggests the tube is 10mm - fairly close, but not exact. I've used 10mm fittings on my cooling system. If they're too near the pump, they drip. Seems pressure will find the weak spot between the 10mm and 3/8 fittings/tube. So I wouldn't use one with CO2. That's my mileage...
Making the assumption that your reg's outlet is standard 3/8 welding regulator outlet thread, I would undo the nut that attaches the tube to the regulator, and substitute one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flat-End-Fema ... 35cc56c5cf

You can then use your 3/8 beer line through to your splitter, and on to the cornies. My reg didn't have any attachments, just the 3/8 outlet thread, and that solution worked for me. I suggest that, before you buy something, you check these details. Is the cylinder you plan to buy the right thread to attach your reg? A quick email query can save a lot of hassle! Hope that helps.

Cheers, Chris

Thanks for the detailed reply Chris. The jg female fitting you linked me to is the wrong type for my regulator. My regulator came with a male threaded screw in fitting with a barb on the outlet. Can I attach the hard grey plastic gas pipe to this barb with a jubilee clip? Or will this not seal correctly with the hard plastic?

beer line will fit onto a 1/4" barb and hold with a jubilee clip ok, with a 3/8" hosbtail barg warm the tube first to aid slipping/forceing it on.. DONT Use a mug of hot water to heat the tube water and regs dont play well together, i may not know about prefilters ;) but im sure u wanna keep water away from the reg ..

Hi Eclipse
If, like Fil says, you can get your beer line onto the barb (which seems likely), then it's job done with no more expense/delay. I was looking at the brass nut immediately before the hose - I expect this secures the barb, and could be removed and replaced by the fitting I linked to.
Whatever method you choose, a quick check that it's gas-tight is a washing up liquid solution, applied around the fitting with a paint brush. It will bubble if gas is escaping.
Cheers, Chris

airymary said:
Hi Eclipse
If, like Fil says, you can get your beer line onto the barb (which seems likely), then it's job done with no more expense/delay. I was looking at the brass nut immediately before the hose - I expect this secures the barb, and could be removed and replaced by the fitting I linked to.
Whatever method you choose, a quick check that it's gas-tight is a washing up liquid solution, applied around the fitting with a paint brush. It will bubble if gas is escaping.
Cheers, Chris

cheers guys! I am expecting delivery of my co2 cylinder tomorrow so I will report back with the end result after some tinkering! :thumb:

airymary said:
Hi Eclipse
Hope you're having fun! I have a reg like this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-CO2 ... 41765c082f
Pic shows the oulet thread with nothing attached. Those and the SWP ones are much of a muchness, but the 100 psi gauge isn't much use at low pressures. So I did this:
http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/view ... =6&t=59980
Cheers, Chris
your reg looks great. I also like what you have done with the pressure gauge! Very neat.

I've got an update on my setup now. Had a lot of time to tinker this evening!

So what I have so far is regulator attached to cylinder like this
vu9u9y7a.jpg

And then the original net hose that came attached to the regulator goes straight into a jg splitter
2yzepu9e.jpg

And then I have 2 grey gas lines each with a disconnect on the other end
aru7ypag.jpg

I've racked 2 batches of beer from my old king kegs into my 2 new cornys now, forced carbed at 30 psi and had a pint or 2 just for QC!

All seems fine. But I have a couple of things niggling me...

1st is the regulator makes a very fast clicking sort of sound when adjusting the pressure and the pressure needle vibrates very rapidly. Is this normal?

And the 2nd thing is that after I disconnect the gas from my 2 kegs and turn the co2 tank valve off the pressure in the tubing is obviously still showing the last pressure I had the kegs at. So I would have expected the gauge showing 20psi as the kegs were to remain showing that. However after about 10 minutes the gauge had dropped to just under 10 psi. Does this mean I have a leak somewhere between the regulator and the quick disconnects on the end of my gas line?

yes it does sound like a leak.. cos your right it should maintain the captured pressure, start looking at the Y connector and the hose from the reg joint..

ps fyi had my reg off the bottle today and no pre-filter as in yours??

Fil said:
yes it does sound like a leak.. cos your right it should maintain the captured pressure, start looking at the Y connector and the hose from the reg joint..

ps fyi had my reg off the bottle today and no pre-filter as in yours??

Hmm... I wonder if its to do with the threaded hose that's going into my jg splitter. I'll have a go with some soapy water tomorrow on all the joints and see if I can track it down.

I had a couple of responses back regarding the mesh thingy on the attaching face, and its seems that's its completely normal. Apparently its a filter to prevent any unwanted particles or dirt getting into the reg.

airymary said:
I've used 10mm fittings on my cooling system. If they're too near the pump, they drip. Seems pressure will find the weak spot between the 10mm and 3/8 fittings/tube. So I wouldn't use one with CO2. That's my mileage...

Fil said:
...start looking at the Y connector and the hose from the reg joint..

You have it in stereo!

airymary said:
airymary said:
I've used 10mm fittings on my cooling system. If they're too near the pump, they drip. Seems pressure will find the weak spot between the 10mm and 3/8 fittings/tube. So I wouldn't use one with CO2. That's my mileage...

Fil said:
...start looking at the Y connector and the hose from the reg joint..

You have it in stereo!
you bet I do:mrgreen:

Back