Best Beer Kits you have brewed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1

Just done this for the 3rd time, bottled it yesterday and it was stunning even then (which I was VERY surprised about). The secret seems to be the low temp ferment, mine was at 12C for 3 week with a 2-day diacetyl rest at 18C right at the end. I also hopped mine with Saaz and Hallertau: 30g steeped at 80C for 30mins prior to making it up, and 30g dry hop.

Yep,it's amazing what the low ferment temp and a lager yeast does,I dry hopped mine with 100g of Falconers Flight hops,a tad much I must be honest but it rivals a Brewdog beer IMO ,takes a while this one though,the only drawback.

new here and only done a few kits, mainly Youngs & Festival, loved em all though the youngs IPA which was my first has been my fav so far, think it was the sheer surprise as to how good it tasted!

Hi Chub,

Can you provide the grams of your fermentables you used?

The last batch I did was just shy of 23 litres.
muntons 1kg enhancer
100g choc and 100g crystal steeped grains
youngs 5g yeast.
2 weeks in FV, 2.5 weeks conditioning at 20-24C now at room temp

The batch currently in FV
around 21.5 litres
500g DME dark
300g brewing sugar
200g molasses
25g pellet hops
S-04 11.5g yeast
Due to bottle this 1 5/03/15

Im just trying to establish a good standard beer as ive made a few errors in the past. ie, poor sanitising practices, temp changes and kit yeast. it was only last month I read 5g yeast packets weren't good enough.

ive used a campden tab in the last batch as I read these can keep bacteria at bay. im also now a proud user of starsan! which I will be using to bottle up, providing a taste test goes ok.

youre last batch seems to be what im aiming for.

Any advise would be much appreciated:mrgreen:

My favorite and repeat kits are Northern Brewer:

Russian Imperial Stout
Storming the Bastille French Farmhouse Ale
English Barleywine

The drawback for the stout and ale is the months af secondary ageing and bottle conditioning. They are well worth the waot IMO.

Hi Chub,

Can you provide the grams of your fermentables you used?

The last batch I did was just shy of 23 litres.
muntons 1kg enhancer
100g choc and 100g crystal steeped grains
youngs 5g yeast.
2 weeks in FV, 2.5 weeks conditioning at 20-24C now at room temp

The batch currently in FV
around 21.5 litres
500g DME dark
300g brewing sugar
200g molasses
25g pellet hops
S-04 11.5g yeast
Due to bottle this 1 5/03/15

Im just trying to establish a good standard beer as ive made a few errors in the past. ie, poor sanitising practices, temp changes and kit yeast. it was only last month I read 5g yeast packets weren't good enough.

ive used a campden tab in the last batch as I read these can keep bacteria at bay. im also now a proud user of starsan! which I will be using to bottle up, providing a taste test goes ok.

youre last batch seems to be what im aiming for.

Any advise would be much appreciated:mrgreen:
Hi
I brewed it to 19.5 litres used the yeast as supplied, came out at around 4.46%.It is certainly getting better for keeping
500 gm dark spraymalt,500 gm Youngs beer enhancer,100gm demerera sugar and 1/4 tin of black treacle. Goldings(8gm) steeped in caffatiere and added at start and a Teabag dry hop of Willamette hops. Batch primed.
Just got a Youngs stout kit, will try it with some grains :thumb:

Just had the last two bottles of my Coopers Euro lager with 100g of Falconers Flight and it's easily the best one can kit I've ever made,I've been banging on for weeks "there's not enough malt to balance out the hops,maybe I just don't like Falconers Flight,blah,blah,blah,it's too harsh". Absolute **** all of that,if,for once I would listen to people and wait the twelve weeks I would give the beer a chance.
It's on a par with a Brewdog beer IMO and I would definitely brew this again.
Cheers :thumb:

I tend to brew 2 kits.
Gordie, Winter warmer
Wilko, Hoppy Copper Bitter

I once did the Tom Caxton Real Ale and it was great, but can't seem to find it again. :-(

Last edited:
As above really. Just interested as to what kit is your favourite with or without tweaks?
Or maybe I'm fishing for ideas for future brews.
My favourite has to be coopers Aussie pale ale with 1kg ldme 500g dextrose and 30g dry hop of dr Rudi hop flowers. Was only my 3rd brew but was by far the best.
Look forward to hearing your best

My best and last kit I ever did was the Youngs American Amber Ale.. Whilst the dry hop was fresh it was a really good beer. I also thought St Peters Ruby Red also was very good.

Latest posts

Back