WineBuddy Sauvignon Blanc Kit - 30 bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This picture explains it -

hydrometer.jpg

I added the finings on Fri evening and still waiting on mine clearing. Probably due to living in a new build flat so room temp doesn't really drop below 18 degrees so I guess it'll just take a while longer to clear

I find KwiK Clear (sic) clears my wines in 48 hours but it can take longer especially if there is still some CO2 in the wine as it holds the sediment in the tiny bubbles.

I used a degassing wand so hopefully CO2 out of it. I'll leave it another day then rack off into glass DJs and if still not clear I'll add Kwik Clear as I have some already. Initial sips taste good so eager to try it!!!

I've just bottled by first WineBuddy Sauvignon Blanc 30 bottle kit.

Got 24 and a half bottles, first impressions are it tastes quite nice, it's a little harsh, but not overly.

I imagine it'll improve over the next month or two?

Very good value for money, I've just bought a 30 bottle rose kit from The Range for my next project!

Glad to hear you like it, i cannot get the Sauvignon Blanc kit so have got a WineBuddy Chardonnay 30 bottle kit, i have never tasted this wine so fingers crossed.

I ended up having to rack mine into 5 glass DJs and adding Kwik Clear as it just wasn't clearing with the included finings. It cleared in 2 days after that and I got 26 bottles. Tastes good and I gave a couple of work colleagues a bottle which they were impressed by. I left the usual 1 cm or so in the bottom of each DJ when bottling so I decided to pour the left overs from all 5 DJs into a bottle to see how much would clear. There's about 2 inches of sediment in the bottom of the bottle now so I'll hopefully get half a bottle out of that too. I managed to buy a second kit whilst it was still on offer and I think I'll add 2 litres of Asda WGJ to compare. Just need to remember to adjust the sugar!!! I'll definitely try more kits now and maybe leave the WOWs for a while.

I am surprised you had a problem with the 3 stage finings in this kit, mine was clear after 48 hours.

How did you degas it?

It just seemed really slow. I used a wine wand on a drill but didn't get a huge amount of froth in fairness. It was clearing but after 3 days it was still slightly milky although less so than after day 1. From the other posts I was expecting it to clear nicely with the 3 stage finings. I'll see how the second one goes. How long do you degass for? I did 3 mins on forwards then 3 mins backwards whilst moving the wine wand up and down in the FV.

I do it forwards for 5 seconds reverse for 5 and keep going for a minute, keeping it going in one direction for more than a few seconds makes a kind of whirlpool and i have always wondered if that is adding oxygen rather than releasing CO2.

Glad to hear you like it, i cannot get the Sauvignon Blanc kit so have got a WineBuddy Chardonnay 30 bottle kit, i have never tasted this wine so fingers crossed.

The Chardonnay turned out well but we prefer the WineBuddy Sauvignon Blanc kit, thanks to Tesco click & collect we can now get it locally and we have just bottled our second kit, we will be enjoying a glass or three later. :cheers:

I've had a few of the Chardonnay ones when they were really cheap. I'm not overly keen on Chardonnay so did a little experiment with the last lot and only added half of the flavour sachet that you add at the end. I preferred it to the others to be honest. Maybe worth a try for others.

On the subject of chardonnay, I found that adding extra oak chips, 5 g of tartaric acid and 3 g of wine tannin gave it that extra bite which is more characteristic of this type of wine, whereas the sauvignon blanc was fine without modification.

They didn't used to be so frothy, so the yeast/nutrient pack has changed. I usually use muslin under a loose fitting lid. The initial thick mass of creamy yeast sticks to this. I rinse it out and replace it. In this way, the amount of yeast sediment is significantly reduced.

I had one do this in the middle of summer when the room was much warmer.
I would have had a big clean up job on my hands last night if I had used a normal airlock, it has calmed down a bit this morning, it'sstill Iin the tube but isn't flowing like it was last night.

They didn't used to be so frothy, so the yeast/nutrient pack has changed. I usually use muslin under a loose fitting lid. The initial thick mass of creamy yeast sticks to this. I rinse it out and replace it. In this way, the amount of yeast sediment is significantly reduced.

Something has changed, i started another yesterday and came home tonight to find the bottle of my blow off tube half full of what looks like frothy milk :shock:

If anyone is about to start this kit i would recommend you make yourself a blow off tube, here is a guide - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48970

This is the one i made -

20140907_181420.jpg

Latest posts

Back