New to real ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growler

Regular.
Reaction score
I would like to try making a proper real ale from scratch but am a bit confused by what equipment I need
I don't have a huge amount of room or money and am happy to make 5 gallon brews.
If some one could point me in the right direction for the minimum equipment and types of ingredients needed I would be very greatful

PS looking to make a hoppy Kent style real ale
and a brown ale like Manns

Hi Growler

Your best bet would be to digest the following "How To". It will give you all the information you need to begin all grain brewing.

As for recipes, I would just rake the recipes section or grab a Graham Wheeler book as he has a good selection of beers and there will be some that meet your requirements.

same as Dunfie says - then ask away on the forum and look at brewday posts - my set up was under a hundred pounds :cool: Try and find a local homebrew store to get your grain from as p and p for grain delivery can be exspensive, check out the forum sponsors at the top of the page - i get all my hops from barley bottom great prices and even better service :thumb:

Hi Growler,
Love the name, as I think Chiefstoker said. :lol:
Nothing wrong with 5 gallon brews, I've done 66 of em this last six years, before upgrading recently, it was either drink less or................ brew more :lol:
Read the how to and anything else, forum is a first rate source, ask questions, get a plan . ;)
If you can do a bit of diy to produce the kit you will beat the £100 budget. ;)
Most of my knowledge came from the Graham Wheeler book, it was my bible until I found the forum six or so months ago.
Good luck, have fun.
S

Thanks for the replies everyone

I think I know what is needed now and will be DIYing it :D

will be spending most of next weekend re arranging my garage to make space for all my hobbies Motorbikes, Beer, Glass engraving and leather ohh err missus

Latest posts

Back