Is there any hope for my first brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem

Brewing Noob
Reaction score
This christmas I decided to throw myself into the deep end of beer brewing by jumping straight in with a full mash brew last week.

Had a lot of fun doing it but a few problems and am now not conviced I'm going to have anything worthy of drinking. This is mostly based on the colour of the fermenting wort (very light although it was a lager malt with 3.9EBC so perhaps not the end of the world) but also because my gravity is down to 1010 after only a week and 2 days. Any thoughts on whether I should persevere with another 4 weeks of fermentation and bottling. I'll give a bit of a rundown of my process to help with the "fault finding".

The mash seemed to go well enough - temperature at start was 68 and finished at about 66 after an hour and a half.

The sparge wasn't so good. I didn't really get a great setup and am not convinced the temperature of the sparge water was hot enough - temperature of final wort was only 58.

The boil was where I really felt things went wrong. I have a brand new Brupack boiler but other than when it was full on boil it never seemed to get a "rolling boil going" . I ended up running it for an hour and 10 mins but not sure how long during this process it was actually boiling.

After that things went reasonably smoothly. The chilled wort has been at a controlled temperature for a week and 2 days now and initially seemed to be fermenting away nicely but now I'm not so sure.

I have no practical experience of AG brewing myself, but would suggest that 1010 is looking to be moving very much in the right direction. 2 weeks in the FV never did any harm, so I would suggest bottling no earlier than day 14.

From what I have read around the AG process, it all sounds fine and I would be very surprised if it turns out less than you expect.

Sounds fine to me. Maybe leave it full 3 weeks in primary fv to finish? Yeasties are probably doing the clean-up now. Agree with Slid - think you'll be very happy with it.

Where about in Scotland are you? If you're not gonna drink that, I sure as hell will :grin:

Thanks for giving me hope - I'm feeling more confident that the end result will be worth the wait now. If it's not to my taste I'm just over the hill from you in Linlithgow.

Mike, I didn't see what your starting gravity was, or your lautering/ sparging techniques, but everything sounds spot on. Even the boil--one way to make up for a less than ideal boil vigor is to boil a bit longer than an hour. Most professional breweries plan for far less boil evaporation (~5%) than is the norm for home brewers (~15%) but still have no problem driving out the undesirable volatile compounds. Many also boil 75-90 minutes minimum.

Stay on your plan for a bit of lagering time. Truly a case of RDWHAHB--should be great. Cheers!

Thanks for the advice Streambrewer.

Unfortunately one of my beginner mistakes was to omit taking a gravity reading before starting fermentation (actually my mistake was to omit a trial jar from my initial shopping list - this has now be rectified) so I'm not sure what it started at. Initial fermentation seemed to go fine though.

I used a fixed sparge arm (a copper pipe in a rectangle with a further one across the middle) and gravity to do the rest of the work - this started ok but by the end the runnings looked pretty weak.

Hopefully (based on postings received) no major harm has been done though.

Mike

I think you'll probably fine. The gravity sounds perfect, mash ok but the problem may be the boil. When using lager malt, it's advisable to boil vigorously for 90 mins to drive off DMS (Dimethyl Sulfide).

I was typing up an explaination, but this describes it better;
http://beersmith.com/blog/2012/04/10/dimethyl-sulfides-dms-in-home-brewed-beer/

I think you'll probably be ok though. One thing i've learnt is that beer is very forgiving. You can cock up big time and most of the time you'll still have something decent. You should stick with it, it may well be the best beer you've ever drank.

Latest posts

Back