And so it begins.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good :clap:
I used a round hand file to make the tank coupler big enough to put the pipe through, it`s worth the effort! If your carefull when stirring you probably won`t need a false bottom, but a plastic one seems a pretty good idea :cool:

First brew? :whistle:

rickthebrew said:
First brew? :whistle:

Thats still a couple of weeks away yet Rick. Got lots of work still to do on the brewery, hop strainer, add second heater element, insulate mash tun, file out conectors, but any suggestions of recipies for a simple easy (not to bitter) first brew would be appreciated :thumb:

Cussword said:
I read on one thread that it is worth filing (Dremel anyone?) the inside of the the tank connector so you can push the pipe right through to the tap. Just can't remember which thread :wha:
Yep, a dremel works well - I just haven't got round to sawing 100+ slits with a junior hacksaw yet :oops: otherwise my mash tun would be done.

AdrianTrace said:
I just haven't got round to sawing 100+ slits with a junior hacksaw yet :oops: otherwise my mash tun would be done.

Adrian if you look at mine you will notice I got fed up with the hacksaw halfway through and got the grinder out :whistle:

rickthebrew said:
Mick what sort of beer do you enjoy drinking? :

Ive never realy drunk much Real Ale ive always had the mass produced stuff. In the mid/late 80s the pub I drank in had Newquey Steam Bitter in swing top bottles and that was the best Bitter I have tasted. Now if I go in a pub it will be John Smiths Smooth. At home it's been the useual cans in the fridge (carling,boddingtons,smiths etc). My Coopers english bitter is ok but inconsistant in taste some days it's fine some days it,s a little bitter. It's in a barrel in the bedroom so im putting that down to temp. The Wherry im not sure about yet. I like the fruietyness but it's still not clear after 8 weeks in the bottle and a little too bitter for my taste but that could be the fact it's still not cleared. Im planning a trip to my local Beer wholesalers( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw1VAgWHLy8 ) and getting a few samples to find out what I like. So suggestions of a fruiety not too bitter beer.

rickthebrew said:
I`ve the graham wheeler book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brew-Your-Briti ... 223&sr=8-1

great book - didn`t pay that for it though :shock: Has loads of info and recipes :thumb:

I wont be paying that for it either :shock: :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow what a shop!!!
The forum recipe thingy is really good for designing recipes - really easy to use and you can control everything with it :cool:
If you really enjoy a certain beer there are loads of clone recipes on the internet for nearly everything, be great to hear what beers you try from the shop :thumb:

rickthebrew said:
be great to hear what beers you try from the shop :thumb:

Will let you know what I choose and what I think of them.

Got the mash tun strainer sorted tonight. Dremeled the conecter out so copper pipe goes straight through to the tap :thumb: Also the lid insulation idea has worked a treat just need to insulate the outside with some loft insulation and that should be job done.

Now I know I havn't finished my 1st brewery yet BUT I already have an upgrade planned. :whistle: :whistle:

Im going to keep the FV with 1 element and use as an HLT. I can heat enough water to strike temp in that get the mash started then while that is doing it's thing top up and heat more water for the sparge. So now Im looking for a dedicated boiler. Has anyone tried useing a 10 gallon Aluminium Milk Churn????????. Could that be drilled out to take kettle elements???????.

rickthebrew said:
great book - didn't pay that for it though :shock: Has loads of info and recipes :thumb:
Agreed, a good book, but I got my copy from Amazon shortly after it was released and I paid less than the cover price of £14.99, with free delivery. What's going on? :wha:

snail59 said:
So now I'm looking for a dedicated boiler. Has anyone tried using a 10 gallon Aluminium Milk Churn????????. Could that be drilled out to take kettle elements???????.
I've never heard them mentioned before but that sounds pretty well perfect to me, my boiler is as wide as it is tall so I lose quite a bit through evaporation. amd you could cut one easily enough with a hole saw or tank cutter.

Milk churn was one of my first thoughts about a boiler, sadly the farms around here only seem to have galvanised ones and the ones for sale were pretty beaten up.

Moley said:
rickthebrew said:
great book - didn't pay that for it though :shock: Has loads of info and recipes :thumb:
Agreed, a good book, but I got my copy from Amazon shortly after it was released and I paid less than the cover price of £14.99, with free delivery. What's going on? :wha:

It's because it's out of print again, and Graham is unsure whether there's going to be another run. Or something.

[/quote]I've never heard them mentioned before but that sounds pretty well perfect to me, my boiler is as wide as it is tall so I lose quite a bit through evaporation. amd you could cut one easily enough with a hole saw or tank cutter.[/quote]

Thanks Moley :thumb:

Theres one up for grabs near me that I might be able to get cheap as it's painted. With it being Aluminium it should clean up with a quick sand blast so gonna give it a punt :D

Finished work early today so made a start on my spargeing arm.

Sparge.jpg

:thumb: I still haven`t finished ( or started :lol: ) my sparge arm - it was planned just seem to spend all my time brewing these days ;)

Graham Wheeler book - shame its not being printed, this may be a bargin then
http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSear ... pe=Froogle

I payed around eight pounds when I bought mine so this is a good deal as they will deliver to the store for free :clap:

jamesb said:
It's because it's out of print again, and Graham is unsure whether there's going to be another run. Or something.

Just recived this from WH SMITHS.

Dear Michael Houlden

Thank you for placing your order, ref. 7******2, with WHSmith. We have not been able to despatch the books(s) detailed below as they are currently being reprinted. We will despatch your item(s) as soon as they become available. No payment will be debited until your order is ready to be dispatched.

Product Title: Brew Your Own British Real Ale
Product Code/ISBN: 9781852492588
Sold by: WHSmith
Price: £9.74
Quantity: 1

So I hope it's being re printed :hmm:

Also found out the Churn is steel NOT Aliminium. :nono:

So ive got one of these instead http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

For those interested in a copy of Grahams Book The Homebrew Shop in hampshire has a good stock of them ;) . . . OK so you have to pay Cover Price of 14.99 but it's better than silly prices.

Latest posts

Back