How to remove SOL Labels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddeighton_1

Reaction score
Hi any tips on removing labels especially them from SOL there are a clear plastic, I can get them off but it leaves all the glue on the bottle and doesn't seem to remove

One tip is to mix baking soda with cooking oil to make a paste. Put it on then leave for a bit and then scrub off. Scrubbing it might scratch the plastic though? It works fine on glass but never tried it on plastic....

In that case, the paste should do the trick! Equal parts baking soda/oil, leave it on for about 30 mins, then wash off in hot water, with a bit of a scrub.

Another one I tried was putting butter on the glued area I still had to scrape it off. I would try Manses suggestion first because while mine worked it still was a lot of elbow grease

I find that elbow grease and stainless steel wire wool gets anything off.
It helps if you can soak the bottles in some water and detergent first.

White spirit or lighter fluid also help

The ones I hate are those silver foil type ones (various ciders use them, aspalls I think, and also I think the st Austell beers). When you peel them off they leave the silver backing on and it's nigh on impossible to remove. I've stopped bothering with those and the plastic types.

hi all thanks for the tips
but i found out using oxy clean does it

soak in hot/warm water with a scoop of oxy clean only need to leave in for 15 to 20 mins and they come off then a little scrub with a wire pan scrubber

i did read leave it over night works too but with the sol bottles it needs to be warm really as i found out left some soaking whilst at work

i also had a couple of woodpecker bottles and they were a pig to get off but a quick soak in oxy clean came off straight away

hi all thanks for the tips
but i found out using oxy clean does it

soak in hot/warm water with a scoop of oxy clean only need to leave in for 15 to 20 mins and they come off then a little scrub with a wire pan scrubber

i did read leave it over night works too but with the sol bottles it needs to be warm really as i found out left some soaking whilst at work

i also had a couple of woodpecker bottles and they were a pig to get off but a quick soak in oxy clean came off straight away

That's useful to know. I've been collecting St Peters cream stout bottles - they're a nice shape and heavy glass compared to many. But the labels are usually plastic. Sometimes you can peel them off but I've had to resort to using a stanley knife to scrape them off followed by wrapping them in tissue soaked in white spirit to soften the glue, then more white spirit to get it off. bit of a pain really, but nice to know there's an easier way even though I've finished for now.

Back