Homebrew company English pale ale is on

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Today I brewed the kit I won from HBC a while back, an AG English pale ale.

Part of the competition deal was that winners wrote a review, so this thread will primarily serve that purpose.

However, I'm also doing a full volume BIAB (though my 4th AG brew) for the first time with my equipment, so in this first post I'm also going to report how that's gone. In subsequent posts I'll just focus on reviewing the beer. Sorry it's a bit of a long post as a result.

The HBC English pale ale kit:
Packaging: all grain mixed in one bag with hop additions and yeast, plus instructions all inside the grain bag, but individually wrapped. A bit fiddly, maybe those bits being outside the grain bag would have been better, but a very minor thing.

Instructions; several winners and other users of HBC kits mentioned the instructions were a bit sparse. They are, but that's fine IMO. There are so many ways to brew AG (three vessel, BIAB, with all their variations) that I don't see this as an issue. I didn't really look at them other than to double check mash timing, and hop addition times. Even there, the hop additions are labelled with timings (using standard '60m' etc wording), again that's all I really needed.

The instructions included expected OG and FG and expected abv (1057, 1012, 4.7%) , which was helpful. HBC should include the abv on their website too, on another thread here they have mentioned they will do that. I wouldn't normally buy AG stuff as a kit anyway, but if I did I'd want to know the expected abv.

However, the instructions didn't give final volume in fv!
Bit of an error that, I had to go back to the website to check (23L).

As a side note there is no list of specific ingredients (grain, hop varieties, with weights etc), so if I wanted to recreate this I'd have to buy the kit again. Unsure where I stand on that. I can see why they'd not include them (so I can't replicate it with ingredients bought elsewhere), but on the other hand I'd probably buy the separate ingredients from their site if they did include them.

Once in the fv:
Kit was supplied with SA-05 yeast. I will use a newer pack as the one in the kit was a bit old. Once in the fv it smelt lovely.

Nothing much else to say on the kit for the time being, but my subsequent posts on this thread will focus on that. The instructions promise a 'mix of fruity, hoppy, earthy, buttery and malty aromas'. Crikey. Watch this space.

So on to my BIAB process:
Setup; I have a 33L pot with false bottom (cake rack!) and gas burner.

I put 25L of tap-hot water into the pot and put heat on it at 8am. Got to strike temp of 75c at 8.20, very pleased with that.

Put pot on the floor of shed, on some corrugated card to insulate the pot bottom. Doughed in.

First learning: 25L plus 4.5kg of grain = pot full to brim. Good thing to know. In some ways a bonus as it meant there was no headspace in the pot which meant less cooling. I can now also use it as a yardstick for future brews.

Second learning: holding up an fv containing 4.5kg of grain, long enough to dough in properly, hurts my back.

Hit mash temp spot on, 67c. Happy again with that. Covered pot with duvet. Half way through mash checked temp. It hadn't moved at all. Happy happy. I gave it a stir, snd had a good sniff. Nice smell.

Gave bag a dunk sparge in a 15L fv, using about 6L @ 80c.

Reached boil at 1030, about 25 mins after heat on.

3 hop additions, some Irish moss, sorted.

Got 20L into fv, now cooling in the bath. I think a chiller is going to be a necessity for 20L BIAB in the future, but I'll have to take my chances on a slow cool today.

As per above the target volume in fv was 23L. I'll check gravity when cooled before topping up. If I've not been very efficient then I'll leave it at 20L rather than dilute.

Will pitch yeast later and update the thread.

feels good to have got this one under my belt with no hitches (yet)

Brew on!

That's sounds like a very successful brew day. Couple of things. If your pot is full to the brim with 25 litres of water and 4.5kg grain then it only holds around 28 litres I think. And I don't lift all the grain to dough in, I scoop it up with a small pan, probably about 500g at a time.

Thanks for the sympathy post clibit!

No idea how but my efficiency was ridiculous. I measured OG of the 20L and it was 1068!

Topped up to 22 to get it back to target 1057.

SA-05 pitched at 20c, all tucked up nicely in the cupboard now.

This one's headed for a pb, so a nice easy 'bottling' day in a few weeks.

I was trying to give some thoughtful advice, out of concern for your poor back. ;-)

Was on my phone, sorry if it sounded blunt!

The kit is for 23 litres, so brewing short to 20L would boost the OG, yeah? 1057 seems high for an English pale ale.

Keep us posted big man. Be good to hear how it turns out. :drink:

I meant sympathy for the lack of responses to my post!

My back is stiff though, I think I'll scoop not lift in future.

I was surprised at the OG. Think it must have been more than 4.5k grain as the pot was very full sand to get that OG must have had a decent amount in it.

I meant sympathy for the lack of responses to my post!

My back is stiff though, I think I'll scoop not lift in future.

I was surprised at the OG. Think it must have been more than 4.5k grain as the pot was very full sand to get that OG must have had a decent amount in it.

Ah, total misunderstanding!

You'd need quite a bit of grain to hit 1057 with 23 litres and you only got 22 litres at target, so it seems like you were a bit under target, no?

Oh yeah, I'm getting this the wrong way round for some reason in my head I was over. Tbh I thought I'd be way under anyway as the grain was a bit old and I had no idea if my process would be efficient. I hope I get decent attenuation or it'll be a sweet brew.

This is going great guns, lovely thick krasuen that looks like you could eat it with a spoon and it smells wonderful. Not sure I'm getting butter, earth and whatever else, but then it's only been going for two days. I've missed that lovely whiff emanating from my airlock...

Just taken gravity for first time, 1012, bang on target. Smells ok, slightly sulphuric but not in a bad way. Tasted sample, it had slightly more bitterness than I expected but nothing untoward and will probably mellow a bit with conditioning too. All good so far then.

Wasn't very clear but then my biab technique means I get a lot of muck in the fv. I'm sure it'll settle out though.

Will leave til sat then barrel as I need my big fv for the grainfather brew, which I've got planned for sat morning!

Edit: what's weird is that the hbc state 4.7% abv on the instructions, with the same og and fg that I got, but the Brewers friend calculator makes it 5.7%.

Typo in the instructions?

Just taken gravity for first time, 1012, bang on target. Smells ok, slightly sulphuric but not in a bad way. Tasted sample, it had slightly more bitterness than I expected but nothing untoward and will probably mellow a bit with conditioning too. All good so far then.

Wasn't very clear but then my biab technique means I get a lot of muck in the fv. I'm sure it'll settle out though.

Will leave til sat then barrel as I need my big fv for the grainfather brew, which I've got planned for sat morning!

Edit: what's weird is that the hbc state 4.7% abv on the instructions, with the same og and fg that I got, but the Brewers friend calculator makes it 5.7%.

Typo in the instructions?

Slip some into bottles and send it to me Gareth :grin:

Yeah might bottle a few up as giveaways. It'll take me forever to drink 40 pints along with all the other brews I've got planned. No idea what postage would be, but I'd be up for a swap?

Yeah might bottle a few up as giveaways. It'll take me forever to drink 40 pints along with all the other brews I've got planned. No idea what postage would be, but I'd be up for a swap?

Forever to drink 40 pints, i could drink that in 1 week Gareth :rofl:

Hope it turns out good anyway

I make 1057 to 1012 = 6.2% !

Christ knows what's going on. It's stronger than I'd usually brew, but hey ho.
Odd that they should get it wrong though.

Anyway. Next update will be first sample in about a month.

It seems a bit chaotic of them. Their info is generally a bit random, but why give you enough grain to make a 6.2% English pale ale? And then call it 4.7%. They are doing themselves out of money.

It seems a bit chaotic of them. Their info is generally a bit random, but why give you enough grain to make a 6.2% English pale ale? And then call it 4.7%. They are doing themselves out of money.

Does sound nice though :lol:

Latest posts

Back